Grading Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . .

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Might not be a good title or the right forum, but, got about between 1, 2 acres of treed land behind the house. Soild is VERY rocky with stones of all sizes, some pretty hefty. Trees of all sizes and varieties.

The intent is to be able to put up an out building for work and storage and, maybe, make an area suitable for a small food garden plot.

Already been cutting down some of the saplings on up to 8" or so and cutting them stove length. I've had some old timers tell me to just drop 'm and leave 'm till the leaves brown up, then cut as they would then be ready to burn in the fall. That's a tale for another day.

I found digging out roots with a normal bucket to be almost a fool's errand. It's only a B21 after all. But, I did some internet digging and found BXpanded that makes a "ripper tooth" for about $300. Finally got around to using it and, after a bit of practice find it works every bit as well as the maker and the comments claim. Almost fun now.

Gotta be careful as a lot of the trees are very close and no doubt have interlocked roots. But that's not really why I'm here today.

The unpleasant surprise has been the far greater number of rocks than imagined. The bigger ones, say over a foot wide, I just try to move off to the side for now. A bit dicey with the tooth as I am fearful of bending it if not careless.

Guess the question really comes down to ways to clear a lot of the smaller stuff out? Not to "topsoil" grade, but reasonable to where you could stick in a spade or shovel and not hit a rock every time.

I've seen static screen units where you dump on top of a slanted screen and let gravity be your friend. Even those are very pricey, to me. Tractor has a 4 in 1 bucket and I was thinking of making a temporary screen out of rebar I have lying around, to fit the bucket, allowing it to scoop then open wide sift and dump. Not thought that out yet, may not by practical given the geometry(s) involved.

So, looking for comments and suggestions.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #2  
From what you say about how much rock you're talking about to level a spot as well as you can and have topsoil hauled in. Then buy a couple of loads of gravel for the out building.
I've got a 2 acre field and after 18 years of trying to create a viable garden spot, last year I started putting in raised beds for my most important garden plants.
It might be easier, quicker, and a lot less wear and tear on your tractor.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . .
From what you say about how much rock you're talking about to level a spot as well as you can and have topsoil hauled in. Then buy a couple of loads of gravel for the out building.
I've got a 2 acre field and after 18 years of trying to create a viable garden spot, last year I started putting in raised beds for my most important garden plants.
It might be easier, quicker, and a lot less wear and tear on your tractor.

That probably makes more sense. I see several neighbors doing the raised bed thing, but kind a saw them as "city folk" doing the "hip" thing. That and I'm known to be a stubborn, so and so.

I should content myself to ripping out as many trees and roots as seems sane, which will likely leave me enough loose craters to make the leveling out part easier.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #4  
Even if you were to get the rocks cleared from the top 4"-6" of soil, you'll have them "grow" right back in a couple of years, due to your freeze/thaw cycles. Rocks have a way of coming to the surface when frost gets into the ground.

Raised beds, and a gravel pad for your storage shed is a good and smart way to go.

Just my 2¢.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #5  
joea99,

Sounds like clearing that many rocks from 1 to 2 acres is a bigger job ( time wise ) than a B21 is capable of. At 43,560 square feet per acre and assuming a 4 foot wide root rake grapple and only working the top 4 inches of soil and 100 liner feet of clearing per hour, you are looking at 109 hours per acre. OUCH.
How much is your time worth? Time to start thinking about renting larger machine with more weight ( traction ), horsepower, capable of wider root rake, and greater capacity of pushing root rake thru soil to remove rocks. I am including 2 pics of machine and root rake I use to clean stumps and rocks ( anything larger than 8 inches) from soil and then move off to spoil pile. After "big" rocks removed then I go over it with power rake to remove everything else and leave soil level and ready for planting. A 8K lb or larger trackhoe is capable of running both the larger root rake grapple and the power rake. L pic gives you some idea of grapple tooth spacing and R pic is the power rake aka Harley Rake. You will find you can clear vines and low brush from land by dragging the top backwards by floating the top on ground or driving forwards and using lower teeth to to clean rocks buried up 6 to 8 inches below ground level in single pass. Depth will depend upon machine weight, horsepower, and root rake width.

I can clean, using root rake, about 1/8 acre of large rock ( over 8 inch size ) per hour and final clean and level the same area per hour using power rake. The M59 is a 11K+ pound machine with 60 hp.

Hope this helps with your project.

Attachments

• IMAG0216- M59 with rock.jpg
    IMAG0216- M59 with rock.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 145
  • Power Rake.jpg
    Power Rake.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:
   / Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #6  
You could hire a Skid Steer or Compact Track Loader equipped with a skeleton rock bucket. After the rocks are sieved out and hauled away you will need to replace spoil with good soil. Likely a fairly expensive evolution.

VIDEOS:

Putting in raised beds would be easier, quicker, and a lot less wear and tear on your light tractor.

Last edited:
joea99,

Sounds like clearing that many rocks from 1 to 2 acres is a bigger job ( time wise ) than a B21 is capable of. At 43,560 square feet per acre and assuming a 4 foot wide root rake grapple and only working the top 4 inches of soil and 100 liner feet of clearing per hour, you are looking at 109 hours per acre. OUCH.
How much is your time worth? Time to start thinking about renting larger machine with more weight ( traction ), horsepower, capable of wider root rake, and greater capacity of pushing root rake thru soil to remove rocks. I am including 2 pics of machine and root rake I use to clean stumps and rocks ( anything larger than 8 inches) from soil and then move off to spoil pile. After "big" rocks removed then I go over it with power rake to remove everything else and leave soil level and ready for planting. A 8K lb or larger trackhoe is capable of running both the larger root rake grapple and the power rake. L pic gives you some idea of grapple tooth spacing and R pic is the power rake aka Harley Rake. You will find you can clear vines and low brush from land by dragging the top backwards by floating the top on ground or driving forwards and using lower teeth to to clean rocks buried up 6 to 8 inches below ground level in single pass. Depth will depend upon machine weight, horsepower, and root rake width.

I can clean, using root rake, about 1/8 acre of large rock ( over 8 inch size ) per hour and final clean and level the same area per hour using power rake. The M59 is a 11K+ machine with 60 hp.

Hope this helps with your project.

Imagine the price of the Harley Rake is scary.

You could hire a Skid Steer or Compact Track Loader equipped with a skeleton rock bucket. After the rocks are sieved out and hauled away you will need to replace spoil with good soil. Likely a fairly expensive evolution.

VIDEOS:

Watching the video, that setup would be hitting and stalling against big fellers every few feet. Some of them are like icebergs only see the top 10%. Or worse don't see.

Hoping by the time I clear out enough trees and roots most of those will be located.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #9  
Imagine the price of the Harley Rake is scary.
Harley rake delivered Aug 2020 was $8,000 and I am guessing it is a good bit more now with all the crazy in the world. Renting for a week or month could probably be done for a grand. Could also have a local landscaper come in and do the work but they are probably also all backed up with work and just taking only the most profitable jobs.

As an aside but related to current crazy pricing. I paid $38K delivered in 2014 for used 230 hour M59 with hydraulic thumb and full set of Kubota shop manuals. In may 2022, I priced a new M62 ( the M59 with 2 more feet of reach on backhoe) at $95K and delivery of 1 year.

Rent if you can or down size your project until a year or 2 goes by and the world gets some sanity back.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #10  
Watching the video, that setup would be hitting and stalling against big fellers every few feet. Some of them are like icebergs only see the top 10%. Or worse don't see.

Hoping by the time I clear out enough trees and roots most of those will be located.
I never found rock buckets to be particularly effective unless the ground was bone dry AND already pulverized. If the ground has any moisture in it, the rock bucket tends to pick up a lot of earth with any stones. Even with a root rake grapple and its 8 inch tooth spacing I can pick up some big earth clods. Have to give the grapple a vigorous shake to get earth to fall away.

Either way you need a heavy machine and decent horsepower to push the tines ( rock bucket or root rack ) thru the soil