Comparison Choosing and 1st impressions

/ Choosing and 1st impressions #1  

ThundernMojo

Tractor
Allis Chalmers wd45
I'm in the market for a tractor w/fel. I have been reading, researching and watching the RK line. The RK55 seems to be the size I'm going for. The normal tractor salesmen was gone for the day but another guy and the store manager were helpful. I drove both the SC and HC. Initial thoughts were that the lock on the cab was very cumbersome, the salesmen and I both had a heck of a time to get it to work right on both tractors, which isn't a big deal as I doubt I will use the lock often. I also thought the levers to open the windows were very cheap feeling. Beyond that I was very impressed with the value of the tractor. A farmer friend of mine is trying real hard to talk me out of the RK and into buying a gently used NH, Case or Massey. I agree that for $29,999 for the SC + 2rd function valve and sales tax I could buy a decent used one. My question is then why was this used tractor traded in or being sold? What problems are gonna sneak up on me? Where the warranty with the RK would be piece of mind. I own 29 acres mostly wooded so I'm not going to be working the daylights out of the machine by any means. Guess I'm looking for advice to push me off the fence one way or the other.

/ Choosing and 1st impressions #2  
My question is then why was this used tractor traded in or being sold?

Most common reason is that someone traded up, usually to a bigger machine of the same brand.

FYI:

RK Tractors are made by TYM (Korea), so if you have one of those dealers, they may be worth a look.

I don't know if NH makes any of their own tractors. The size in question might have been made by LS (Korea) or some other Asian manufacturer.

/ Choosing and 1st impressions
I have also read some suggest to go pre T4, how far back did that start?

/ Choosing and 1st impressions #5  
Just bought a RK55 today out of the decauter indiana store. It was a leftover, but they marked it down accordingly. Came from a bobcat CT tractor. This 55 is a beefy monster. Time will tell but the local store manger says they are going to be there when needed. Never took my bobcat tractor back for anything in its 10 years with me.

For the most part some of the running gear does look a little less robust. But many of the u-tube videos I seen say they units are pretty solid.

/ Choosing and 1st impressions #6  
Serious second thoughts after my new tractor has a trans leak at 22hrs. They are telling me it will have to split to fix the issue. Reported the issue approximately 5 weeks ago, was just picked up for service today.

Last edited:
   / Choosing and 1st impressions #7  
Serious second thoughts after my new tractor has a trans leak at 22hrs.
Now it will be interesting to see how RK will support your machine.
Hopefully, they will step up to the plate for you.
Please provide updates here.

/ Choosing and 1st impressions #8  
I'm in the market for a tractor w/fel. I have been reading, researching and watching the RK line. The RK55 seems to be the size I'm going for. The normal tractor salesmen was gone for the day but another guy and the store manager were helpful. I drove both the SC and HC. Initial thoughts were that the lock on the cab was very cumbersome, the salesmen and I both had a heck of a time to get it to work right on both tractors, which isn't a big deal as I doubt I will use the lock often. I also thought the levers to open the windows were very cheap feeling. Beyond that I was very impressed with the value of the tractor. A farmer friend of mine is trying real hard to talk me out of the RK and into buying a gently used NH, Case or Massey. I agree that for $29,999 for the SC + 2rd function valve and sales tax I could buy a decent used one. My question is then why was this used tractor traded in or being sold? What problems are gonna sneak up on me? Where the warranty with the RK would be piece of mind. I own 29 acres mostly wooded so I'm not going to be working the daylights out of the machine by any means. Guess I'm looking for advice to push me off the fence one way or the other.

I think your farmer friend is looking at your purchase through his “lens“ of the world. Farmers seldom buy the Branson, RK, etc type tractors because they want “forever” dealer support from legacy names. Nothing lasts forever, but the legacy names (Deere, New Holland, Case-IH, etc) have sustained.
They depend on their tractors to feed their families and can’t take a chance on the smaller names which may or may not be here in 5 years.
You probably don’t need to worry about that as much as he does. It is true that some of the Korean manufacturers make small-medium size tractors for the legacy names, like NH, Case, etc. However, the legacy names may spec the tractors differently for their customers needs and demands. A NH 75HP might be speced out different than its Branson, LG, whatever, cousin built in same factory.

Farm tractors typically have more pump and hydraulic reservoir or possibly a heavier built PTO for the implements they need to run. That might be a difference you’ll find between a Korean built Case/NH and the manufacturers “house brand” tractor and sometimes they are identical except the paint job & decals.

Last edited: