Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #122  
We actually do not “Own” land. It is all rented By way of Taxes.
We actually purchase the right to use.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #123  
Back when Bill Clinton was president they apparently had money to burn. They implemented a farm program called CREP. It stood for conservation reserve enhance program. It was permanent set aside. You couldn’t farm, log it, mow it, just walk on it and hunt on it. As in NEVER. As a rule it was meant to keep silt out of the major rivers but it spread to smaller rivers when participation wasn’t big enough.

People often got paid through the CREP program a lot more than they paid for the ground. I wonder how long before the government pays these landowner to go back and start farming it.
Not permanent, we signed a 15 year lease could have done a 10 but the rate was better for 15. They cost share 1/2 the cost of trees and labor for planting in highly erodible land. We enrolled 3 acres in it and it will be done next year. We can do what we want with it once the lease is done. we were required to control invasives and have 75% of the trees survive. We were able to choose a variety of trees. For us it was a great program, we were able to repair and plant trees in an area that was difficult to mow and eroding yearly.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #124  
Not permanent, we signed a 15 year lease could have done a 10 but the rate was better for 15. They cost share 1/2 the cost of trees and labor for planting in highly erodible land. We enrolled 3 acres in it and it will be done next year. We can do what we want with it once the lease is done. we were required to control invasives and have 75% of the trees survive. We were able to choose a variety of trees. For us it was a great program, we were able to repair and plant trees in an area that was difficult to mow and eroding yearly.
There were several of that type of programs over the years, funded by various methods. Some of the money you pay for firearms and fishing equipment goes to fund conservation programs.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #125  
Well all i can say is wishful thinking doesn't make it so.
I won't add my thoughts on the water in the California Delta that I lived next to, fished on, boated almost every foot on while not commenting on water flow on the "West Cascades of Washington State"

/ Choice: food or solar fields #126  
I won't add my thoughts on the water in the California Delta that I lived next to, fished on, boated almost every foot on while not commenting on water flow on the "West Cascades of Washington State"
Go ahead, but try to be somewhat logical about it. I should add, No we aren't shipping it down to you guys. You need to use what you have in a thoughtful manner. Maybe get rid of some of those lawns that are taking up so much water.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #128  
In 2020 almost 40% of all farm income was government subsidies/handouts. In the past 25 years it’s totaled almost half a trillion dollars. If you had a stack of $100 bills that equaled half a trillion dollars it would literally reach higher than the International Space Station. If you made $50,000 a year and saved every penny, it would take you 10 million years to save half a trillion.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #130  
You sell to any dairy farmers?
Not any more. They all went under.
I get exactly ZERO money from the government for hay farming (other than the state of PA’s sales tax exemption on farm machinery)