Check your trees for hazards

/ Check your trees for hazards #2  
What are the odds?

/ Check your trees for hazards #3  
one in a million

Between bears and trees, I guess staying home is becoming an option. That is terrible.

/ Check your trees for hazards #4  
There's a reason that dead limbs are known as "widow makers". Some trees are especially prone to them. (Around here eucalyptus especially.)

Hereabouts, there is the hot day / no wind problem that literally explodes limbs off of trees due to the hydrostatic pressure of the sap accumulating in the limbs and not enough wind to transpire the water. I had no idea about it until it happened just outside my window one afternoon. It sound like a 12ga shotgun had gone off.

All the best,

Peter

/ Check your trees for hazards #5  
This nearly happened to me about a year ago, right on my own property. We have a few dozen very large oak trees in the mowing areas. I was on the Woods (diesel) mower, and made a pass close to one of those trees (which also has a rope swing attached to a large branch about 20+ feet off the ground).

Just as I passed the tree I heard, (over the noise of the diesel and hearing protectors), and felt the ground shake. I stopped and looked back, and there was a branch from 6" to 8" dia and 9 feet long, laying on the ground right behind the mower where I just mowed 5 or 6 seconds earlier.

/ Check your trees for hazards #6  
The danger is real. The timing is not :oops:. Had this hiker stopped to retie a shoe or watch a bird land or had to pee... they would be alive. I saw a video of a car driving along a roadway when a huge tree fell on the car and killed the driver.

/ Check your trees for hazards #7  
...no wind problem that literally explodes limbs off of trees due to the hydrostatic pressure of the sap accumulating in the limbs and not enough wind to transpire the water...
That's the theory for what happened to my across the road neighbor's big oak tree. It was a hot July morning, plumb still and had been hot and windless for quite a while. Water was pouring out of the cuts. Biggest diameter is about 33".
20220816_163806_HDR.jpg

/ Check your trees for hazards #8  
That's sad. I don't believe in luck, fate, or predestiny yet there are some things you can't avoid; it was just her time to do.

/ Check your trees for hazards #9  
Meh... Over here, eucalypt trees will randomly 'cast' a limb/branch, especially when it's dead calm.

You can't win. We've had tent-campers killed simply by pitching underneath a gum-tree.

/ Check your trees for hazards #10  
It happened in a park or trail in Minneapolis a few years back. 2 ladies were walking on a path and a tree or limb fell and killed one of them out of the blue. Found it. Link below. 2014. I was off a bit on details, but close...