Check your trees for hazards

/ Check your trees for hazards #11  
Unfortunately that type of thing Happens way to often

/ Check your trees for hazards #12  
Just happened in my front yard a couple weeks ago.......

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 59
   / Check your trees for hazards #13  
About 12 years ago I had a tree come down on my company truck on a windy day. I saw it coming but didn't have time to brake. They replaced the roof, one door, and put covers on the bed rails where the tree rained dead branches on it. At the time we were driving along watching a harvester cut along the roadside on land that we managed. Of all the miles I put on private roads, this happened on the main highway in an organised town.

I thought "If there are trees blowing over it must be time to cut it."
Two months later we cut the wood on that side of the road.

/ Check your trees for hazards #14  
When I went through the sawyer certification training program, widow makers we're thoroughly discussed. Today when working in the woods, we see hangers all the time.

/ Check your trees for hazards #15  
I guess that's one advantage of my Mesquite trees. As they get older, the branches spider-leg to the ground and you can't get under them anyway. If you want to keep them going up, you HAVE to keep them trimmed. :cautious:

Cows at Feeders-1.jpg

/ Check your trees for hazards #16  
I guess that's one advantage of my Mesquite trees. As they get older, the branches spider-leg to the ground and you can't get under them anyway. If you want to keep them going up, you HAVE to keep them trimmed. :cautious:

View attachment 768142

/ Check your trees for hazards #17  
Ok, I just went and checked the trees on my property: Turns out, they’re all eventually going to fall down. Some trees, especially the maples, even healthy ones, are always shedding branches. What now?

Should I also check every tree along the side of the road before I drive by it?

/ Check your trees for hazards #18  
Where I hunt at I keep the maples trimmed up around my stand. Every spring my uncle and I go clean up a cord or two of branches that just pop right off. Most being 3-6” diameter and 10-20’ long. I had no idea about the exploding branches though. Good information !

/ Check your trees for hazards #19  
Ok, I just went and checked the trees on my property: Turns out, they’re all eventually going to fall down. Some trees, especially the maples, even healthy ones, are always shedding branches. What now?

No, but it pays to be aware. Don’t stop to take a picture when standing under a hanging limb.

/ Check your trees for hazards #20  

This is the kind of thing I watch out for out of habit;
C46EB211-DCDE-4A25-BB23-4271B8F5085E.jpeg

The chances of having a tree fall on you are slim, yet paying attention will reduce the risk even more… just as the risk of getting hit by a car are less if you don’t routinely play in the street.

I also am wearing a hard hat, and wouldn’t be where I am now if the wind was blowing… it should have been cut 20 years ago and there are too many dead stubs.