Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!)

/ Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!) #42  
Great pictures. You and your sons have been busy. Another suggestion - sometimes mobile floors may have soft spots because of moisture. While you are working on it, might consider repairing the places in the floor and then give it another layer of 3/4 plywood. Makes it really solid. It will be nice when finished. Good Job.

/ Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!) #43  
Fun project to watch. The carport is a bonus. Septic and well are okay? Will that John Deere run?

/ Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!)
JD is history. It just needs to head to the dump.

The floors are solid except where the rim and joists were just repaired. I have 2 sheets of 3/4 treated plywood. (Talk about heavy.)

Bathroom floors are perfect with no stains etc…

Even the skylight water went straight into the garden tub.

We stripped all the floors mainly for an inspection.

I am hopeful about the septic system condition. My problem is locating the holding tank and the distribution box. I have a diagram of the system from the health department. It is unfortunately not to scale. I know pretty well it’s location. I will call in someone to pump it. To do that they will have to locate it. (The next door neighbor just had his pumped for the first time in 30 years. The owner since it was built was a single guy and never installed a washer/dryer. Other than I am guessing he dumped grease down the sink, it should be in fairly good shape.

It ended up being on County Water. We struggled to find out where the main cut off valve was located. For some reason they came off the side road and was covered with leaves. I had the County check to make sure it was turned off as I could not find out where the shut off valve was located. (In the end I did find it's location under the trailer.) They actually came by later and told me I could turn it back on when I want to check for leaks or for cleaning purposes. They did not lock it out.

Last edited:
   / Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!) #47  
Thanks for posting, great to hear you and your sons are able to tackle this project together.

/ Cheap lake home? May or May not happen. (It is a go!) #48  
This is the first Day the Property was really mine. I took a crazy chance to get a head start on my project. I was assured that I would be the owner, but it would have been a lot of work for the next person if someone else got it.
Day 13
My tractor has paid for itself several times over the years.

I am puzzled about why you would do all of this to a property you did not own and without permission of the owner. For all the conversations we have on this site about trespassing, property lines and over reaching neighbors I am shocked that you worked on this for 13 days prior to owning it.

Really glad you had a breakthrough with your sons over this, just concerned about what they really learned.

I think I read the whole thread, what part did I miss that made this ok in your neighborhood?

I was told they had agreed to the sale so I got going. I sent the attorney not only the deposit (It was more than he requested.) and the balance due that was not even asked for (It was post dated for the completion of the sale and included the $28 for recording the deed.) He was in good shape as the executor. The property was abandoned for 8 years. At the bare minimum I made improvements and saved it from further damage. All the neighbors are pretty happy to see me save it. It's sad state stopped me from developing my next door lot. You don't have to worry about what lessons my sons have learned. I am sure you are a great neighbor and would have set me straight. As far as a breakthrough with my sons. We have always done projects, their level of involvement has varied. I am excited to see them develop other skills. Best Wishes.