Chains Chains on 4720 front axle

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well guys we had a total of 15" of the slickest snow you can imagine here in Central Mass last two days. I have R-4's, loaded tires and a 550 pd weight block but I spent lot of time spinning my wheels on this stuff. I'm pushing a 6.5' Fisher plow. IMG_1921.jpg

Anyone have any experience with chains on front axle?

Attached shot is of my plow set up- older blade, not the "new" junk yard fisher I have now

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #2  
Have a JD 4300 with a 7' plow, and often run with chains on the front wheels. Not on in this pic of the plow.

Attachments

• 100_1052.JPG
    100_1052.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 130
   / Chains on 4720 front axle #3  
I have a 2720 and have run chains on all four tires for the past 7 seasons. I tried it at the beginning of last winter without chains and the experience is not one I want to repeat anytime soon. Lots of time spent spinning R4 tires and going nowhere.

/ Chains on 4720 front axle
thx for responses guys. Guess I'll have to start maybe with the front axle. Usually not a problem but like I said this snow was like grease.

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #5  
Chains on the front axle can be a conversation issue, some people will warn that you will break your front axle.
The Euro style studded chain will provide superb traction with no jerking or rough riding as is common with ladder chains.
Tractor Tire Chain - Aquiline Talon | Free US Shipping
Tractor Trygg SMT Flexi Studded Alloy Tire Chains | Free US Shipping

Thx Lou-and I hear you on the "conversation" issue. I have to say that the price on those chains makes me think twice. Plus I plow my own asphalt drive plus about 500' of common drive that I just did over with millings. Not worried about those studded chains on the millings but I think they would be a killer on my asphalt. I have an old set of cross links hanging in the barn-I just may cut them down and see what happens.

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #7  
Thx Lou-and I hear you on the "conversation" issue. I have to say that the price on those chains makes me think twice. Plus I plow my own asphalt drive plus about 500' of common drive that I just did over with millings. Not worried about those studded chains on the millings but I think they would be a killer on my asphalt. I have an old set of cross links hanging in the barn-I just may cut them down and see what happens.

Just a quick comment, my driveway is gravel/dirt so I have no problem without a doubt.
But were I clean out on the town road is newly paved 2 years ago and I have seen noevidence of chain damage,
also on the farm tractors 2 of them get several miles of pavement daily and we have not seen any damage,
this style of chain increases your grip so much that you will seldom spin which is what will mark up your pavement,
I was amazed when I went with this style several years ago.
The price is enough to almost choke on your coffee untill you use them.
Good luck with your endeavors.

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #8  
I have seen little evidence on my concrete or asphalt black top drive using regular ladder chains on the fronts.
Being on R4 tires, enough of the cross links are below the surface that there is no bumpiness to the ride. Just sayin.. my 2cents.

Don't need the chains for traction all the time, but when a layer of wet snow gets iced over and packed, then the chains slip just enough to remove that layer to recover traction.
Or if deep snow, the chains churn down enough to clear that snow to get traction. Some winters, the snow conditions are cold enough that no chains are needed. I like snow in weather than never gets over freezing.. It's the "just above" freezing snow that causes me to lose traction with the R4's.

/ Chains on 4720 front axle #9  
I have a 4320 Cab Tractor with the John Deere Power Tech engine / 4cyl. Just for information on this style of tractor, the front axle pivots in the oil pan on the aft end and the front pivots on a bolt on yoke.These 2 spindles ride in synthetic plan bearings. Knowing how the front axle is attached I would not put tire chains on the front axle. I had a John Deere 750 that I ran front tire chains on with a front snow blower. I had approx 1300 hrs when I upgraded and assume that 40% of the hrs was snow blowing. The front pivot was very loose when I traded it. I don't want the same thing to happen to my 4320. Just put the tire chains on the rear tires. Later

I have a 4320 Cab Tractor with the John Deere Power Tech engine / 4cyl. Just for information on this style of tractor, the front axle pivots in the oil pan on the aft end and the front pivots on a bolt on yoke.These 2 spindles ride in synthetic plan bearings. Knowing how the front axle is attached I would not put tire chains on the front axle. I had a John Deere 750 that I ran front tire chains on with a front snow blower. I had approx 1300 hrs when I upgraded and assume that 40% of the hrs was snow blowing. The front pivot was very loose when I traded it. I don't want the same thing to happen to my 4320. Just put the tire chains on the rear tires. Later

O'66 Please elaborate-not sure how the the chains would have a negative effect on the axle pivot points. Plus as they are so easy to put on and off, my plan would be to use only when needed. I plow with a Fisher plow but check out the picture I posted. That blue pipe is a piece of sch 40 pipe that is welded to the lift arm- I simply roll arm forward and pipe makes contact with plow a frame lifting front end off ground. Very easy to put chains on/off. B y the way also great for back blading away from garage doors