Chain / binders question

/ Chain / binders question #22  
This topic comes up frequently. Binders and chain are cheap compared to any piece of equipment. Even cheaper compared to the liability in an accident of any kind when insurance companies are looking for anyone at all to sue. No doubt I am missing something, but so far have not been able to understand why it is so important to get by with one fewer binder or one less piece of chain.

/ Chain / binders question #23  
Previous poster has a great point. It seems, it IS foolish to scrimp on binders and chains for what ever your reasoning is. The attitude"oh I can get by with this" really doesn't fly,especially in that one in a million chance some thing goes haywire. Putting your binders on in a highly visible manner makes it easy for the passing authorities to drive by you knowing that you appear to have gone the extra mile to secure your load safely. Pull into a truck stop sometime and ask a lowboy operator about securing a load properly and law enforcement.

/ Chain / binders question #24  
In Nova Scotia, by the book, we have to have a separate chain with a binder at each corner of the machine along with a separate chain and binder for the bucket or an impliment. They are really truing to get haulers to use ratcheting chain binds and even heavy duty ratchet straps on smaller equipment. Longeer hauls are done by the book while short, community hauls usually get a couple of chains and binders.

I almost always use the tractive force of a skidsteer or tractor or backhoe to tighten the rear chains and will argue that I almost always end up being tighter than when using a chain bind. And I'm not talking about snow or ice covered trailer decks either.