Cedar siding question for new barn

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I'm in process of building a new barn. I'm looking at white pine vs cedar siding. I know cedar is better but limited supply in Ohio I think. Anyone know the cost to have siding shipped in and is it worth it over white pine? Thinking of doing board and batten or just using a vertical 6 or 8" channel lock version. Barn will be 10' high and 40x70 with 12' shed.

Thank you

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #2  
I think homedepot/lowes has cedar boards, you may want to check that out if doing board and batten.

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #3  
I'm in process of building a new barn. I'm looking at white pine vs cedar siding. I know cedar is better but limited supply in Ohio I think. Anyone know the cost to have siding shipped in and is it worth it over white pine? Thinking of doing board and batten or just using a vertical 6 or 8" channel lock version. Barn will be 10' high and 40x70 with 12' shed.

Thank you

I can't imagine the cost of doing cedar boards- and I would be surprised if you could get any quantity in Lowes or Home Depot. No doubt better than pine but unless you are Warren Buffet,
you won't do it. IMO, go with pine and if you can pre prime the boards before you put them on. Also, keep them high enough out of the splash zone and for sure you don't want any ground contact. If you have to run a horizontal band of pressure treated at ground level and then install a drip edge on top of that so your vertical pine boards sit on the drip edge.

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #4  
What about vertical Hardiplank board and batten?

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #6  
Pine would be my choice, just based on cost. Keep it dry and it will last a long time.

/ Cedar siding question for new barn
So if I paint it does that help make it more bug resistant?

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #9  
Unless it's an aesthetics thing, it's hard to beat the cost of metal with wood. You'd have to buy and paint your wood for under (about) $.75/board foot and continue painting forever. I favor the looks of wood myself, and it's just a "sucky" choice to have to make. But between repainting, bugs, and rot concerns, I go with the metal.

/ Cedar siding question for new barn #10  
So if I paint it does that help make it more bug resistant?

I recommend stain over paint. It won't peal. We had a 2 story house all vertical lap pine 1x12.
We eventually, after 20 yrs, covered it all with Hardiplank because of some rot and a lot of warping and gaps.

We still got some ants and termites....