Cat 305CR mini excavator

/ Cat 305CR mini excavator #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I'm looking at one. It's an '02 model 26** hours one new rubber track and other was replaced a year or so ago, $21K. I watched it in operation yesterday as it was on a job-site. Owner wants a cab model. The backhoe on my Kioti LB1914
is fun but has very limited reach and the loader is a gutless wonder. Also this tractor I own is narrow and not fun to drive on my hilly Ozark terrain.
I talked to a heavy equip mechanic at work and he seems to think they are decent machines.
I took pictures but the sun and camera settings weren't in my favor.
Another benefit is I can lift logs onto my sawmill with it.
Opinons appreciated.

Brad

Last edited:
   / Cat 305CR mini excavator
Appreciate the feedback Builder.

/ Cat 305CR mini excavator #4  
It's a weird situation out there. Companies going under left & right so there's plenty of pre owned equipment available. However, the construction trades are doing so poorly that new sales are slow, which drives up the cost of more appealing used equipment. Seems like to me the really good buys have already happened. In other words, if you were going out of business, you're already out.

If we have a double dip recession, ignore previous sentence,

/ Cat 305CR mini excavator #5  
Wow that seems high, i just sold my 05 kubota kx121 with angle blade, hyd thumb, cab heat ac, lights and three buckets , 2500hrs for 22.5k sold it last june, and our area is pricey too... Seems like a rip to me.

I don't think he's had any takers and said he was probably going to the dealers soon if I didn't buy it. It's either buy something like this or a bigger TLB.
Edit: Got a guy that will inspect for $60 an hour. Retired heavy equipment mechanic suggested from dude at work.

Last edited:
   / Cat 305CR mini excavator #7  
Wow that seems high, i just sold my 05 kubota kx121 with angle blade, hyd thumb, cab heat ac, lights and three buckets , 2500hrs for 22.5k sold it last june, and our area is pricey too... Seems like a rip to me.

Dang I'd have been all over that.
That's the buggy I want to replace my yanmar.

I tried the Kubota excavator yesterday. Controls seemed backwards so I looked like a noob trying to dig on the dealers back lot. Salesman told me later it was switchable. One thing I don't like about excavators is the bucking bronco effect.

/ Cat 305CR mini excavator #9  
I tried the Kubota excavator yesterday. Controls seemed backwards so I looked like a noob trying to dig on the dealers back lot. Salesman told me later it was switchable. One thing I don't like about excavators is the bucking bronco effect.

Experience would take care of that. Why not have the mech. Check it out and get an idea o what it would take to make it work for you and then just shoot him an offer that you like? You know that a dealer won't pay much because he's got to make some on it.

Sort of what I was thinking TBS. The Kubota is on a dealers lot, the dealership owners personal toy he decided to sell. I liked the smoothness of the Cat. Just seems like I was fighting the Kubota the whole time I was running it. Nice rig though and in better shape than the Cat.