Cat 0 Implements?

/ Cat 0 Implements? #41  
Different tools for different jobs in purely practical terms is fine, but honestly tools are one of my main pleasures in life and tractors are just like all my other tools.. I like to have a bunch of different sizes that are good at different things, and then when i need to do something i never get 'stuck', just turn to a different tool.

But yeah, i have a solid half acre of wheeled vehicles parked around here and it's 'a problem', so clearly there's a limit somewhere and each person must find their own.. My limit is, i can't live the way i do on a small piece of land, but somewhere right below that is.. I cant live with only one size of tractor! 😁

/ Cat 0 Implements? #42  
MotoAlliance guy - I know I am late to the party here, so hope you are still listening, as someone who owns and uses your cat 0 implements, the number one thing I would like to see for cat 0 is a quick hitch. Another thing I would like is a hydraulic post hole digger. I have contemplated making one, but if there was one available around $750, I would buy it.

For everyone else, I am sorry, you do not need a 2000lb+ machine for a 5000 sq ft kitchen garden. I owned a 25 HP diesel SCUT with a cat 1 hitch, a loader and backhoe when I had 5 acres. I used it for maintaining the property, but even then I only had a kitchen garden, and it sucked to maneuver it in there, so I kept a garden tractor for that. Now that I have only 1.25 acres, I sold the SCUT but still have a garden tractor. I used to own an 11 hp two wheeled tractor (Grillo 107D) that pulled a potato plow without a problem. It has a lot of implements available for it (I only sold it because an old shoulder injury made it hard to use as I got older). I have an 800lb 1972 MTD 990 that I threw a 13hp Predator into, just to pull cat 0 implements through the garden (moldboard plow, discs and a tollbar with tines or hilling discs.) I used it for a few years until a few months ago a part of the lift wore out that I cannot find a replacement for. It will still pull implements, just not lift them very well. I just got a smaller 725lb Ingersoll 3018 with an 18hp Onan, because parts are still available for it.

Another garden tractor I used to own was a 1994 Yardman 998. It was 18hp and had a loader and a backhoe from Kwik-Way. Someone offered to buy the tractor for way more than I had in it, so I said yes and got the SCUT. I also had a matching White GT1855 (same thing just grey). I used it for mowing, working the garden and I had a cat 0 48" box blade for it that I used to maintain about a 1/4 mile dirt driveway. It worked well so I never got a box blade for the SCUT. At the time, a Cat 1 Box blade would have cost more than I paid for the tractor. I sold it when I moved and got the Grillo.

Garden tractors with cat 0 implements are not right for everyone, but neither is a sub-compact utility tractor. I cannot justify paying $14,000+ for a SCUT that is way too big for my space. I also cannot justify the price for heavy duty cat 1 implements. For my situation Cat 0 implements have a better cost for the amount I use them ratio. Even though they are light duty, for the amount I use them, they are plenty strong enough. I loved the two wheel Grillo, it worked great for my current yard and garden, but my shoulder cannot handle it anymore. So I need a small 4 wheel garden tractor. Unfortunately parts are getting hard to find for a lot of old garden tractors and new "garden tractors" are not really garden tractors, they are just large, overpowered, complex, luxury lawnmowers. It would be nice if someone still made true garden tractors in the $5,000 to $7,500 range, designed as simple working machines with a cat 0 lift.

For the pics or it didn't happen crowd, here are some of the machines I have owned. The yardman, I took the picture because someone asked me the lift height on the loader. The Grillo, I made the cart for it out of a Tractor Supply wagon. The 990 (blue tractor) I took the picture after painting it (backyard rattle can job), before putting the seat and new front tires on it. The Ingersoll is where I bought it before bringing it home.

img182.jpg
1.jpg
IMG_20200927_120230823.jpg
img.jpeg

/ Cat 0 Implements? #43  
Im a big fan of the garden tractor size class as well, but with the proliferation of SCUTs it has become a defunct size class, as even a JD X700 series is essentially the same size as a 1025r anyway.

My addition for anyone considering a garden tractor but not sure about it, is theres a POSSIBILITY that certain cheap 4 wheelers/atvs might do the things you want AND be more fun the rest of the time. Just throwing that out there.

I have no ATVs but i have a Case 444 and a JD 212 in addition to my Kubota b6100 and b8200. if I had to keep one and ditch the rest it would be the 6100 as it splits the size difference perfectly and is a joy to use. If i stuck purely to garden tractors i would probably do the Case as the hydraulics give huge opportunity for customization and custom attachments etc.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #44  
One of my neighbors had a 1988 Yamaha Terrapro ATV that had a PTO with a finish mower.

Pretty neat little machine.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #45  
Maybe because "tactor" and "impliment" industry does not consider CAT 0 significant....

Dale
I have a slew of David Bradley's that will say otherwise. The suburban tractor had cat 0 and had a cam over hand lift. It's a 1956 model.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #46  
EXCELLENT discussion and topic! I don't think the question is what we would like to see in Cat 0 on this forum, I think the question would do better in a forum for people that do not have tractors. But there's no such thing as a "No Tractor By Net" forum, so bring it on. The point is that some tasks require Cat 1 or larger, but there's a pretty big space between the Cat 1 sweet spot target and what we can do by hand. Loads that are heavier than around 50 lbs, ground engagement beyond what you can do with a spade, raking heavier and wider than a hand rake, and other things like that, are what we need to be thinking about.
A boom pole maybe 4' long with a 100 or 200 lb capacity would be nice. A platform lift, too. Something designed to carry sacks of concrete mix (up to 90 lbs) would be good.
An auger could be hard to pull off, but that depends how we set the requirements. I have those two-handled post hole diggers with the hinge at the blade. They set kind of a lower limit. Digging a 6" hole 3' deep with those takes a bit of effort. An auger that was just capable of digging the holes for a split rail fence would make all the difference.
I think another way of looking at this is this: for a garden tractor that you can load into a pickup truck with ramps, what are the ideal attachments? There's a huge difference between what you need a pickup truck (or access to one) to do, and what you need a flatbed trailer to do. That's its own market segment right there.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #47  
A boom pole maybe 4' long with a 100 or 200 lb capacity would be nice.
I made an A frame adjustable lift pole with a hand crank for my Craftsman Garden Tractor:

P8260024.JPG

The pole is 82 inches long with holes to change the angle.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #48  
I made an A frame adjustable lift pole with a hand crank for my Craftsman Garden Tractor
Yes, see? Small capacity things like this can be really useful, and might be all that somebody needs.

In a similar vein, I've wished for a small hand powered winch with a capacity somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 lbs, for jobs like lifts that are too awkward for a human, like lifting things at arm's length, or lifting things in awkward spaces, or adjusting the height of subassemblies that are not high precision. I had a subassembly that weighed about 30 lbs, needing to be gently raised and lowered and tweaked into place in the middle of a complicated setup and there was just no right way to do it.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #49  
Personally I just bought a scrap JD 425 to salvage the 540 pto and Cat-0 3 point. I’m getting a small market garden going and am planning to buy the subsoiler and possibly the scarifier. A three point dump bed would be nice as I could straddle the beds and spread compost/ or use it to harvest the haul to the pack house.

Additionally I was considering buying a BCS to prep beds but a 30” three point tiller with a depth roller on the back would be nice for bed turnover. A 30” power harrow would be cool too. For simplicity sake since BCS already makes those for the market garden community a 3 pt mount with a gearbox to make the rpm’s right, and the ability to offset to operate against the inside of a hoop house.

/ Cat 0 Implements? #50  
The BCS is a GREAT machine for small garden operations. We have the tiller, Power Harrow, Sickle bar, a dump cart and a flail mower. All fit where it is tough to get the tractor in and all preform extremely well.