Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain
I should add that my machine is a FRONT BACKHOE, FRONT BACKFILL BLADE and REAR TRENCHER with steering wheel and 2 seats, one seat forward for the backhoe and one for driving and the trencher.

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #63  
It would be helpful if you could take a picture of the other 2 pumps so that we can identify what they are which will help us figure out what each one of them are doing.

My assumption is that you have this architecture on this machine:
1. One open circuit pump that controls the cylinder function for the backhoe and the trencher lift cylinders.
2. One closed circuit pump for the propel of the machine
3. One closed circuit pump for the trencher chain operation (this has already been verified and is the pump we have been discussing)

Back to the trencher chain circuit, can you trace the high pressure lines from the pump and find out what they are attached to? There are two of them, they are on opposite sides of the pump. I have highlighted one of them on the attached picture. The other one would be located on the opposite side of the pump.

1676060236049.png

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #64  
Doaaj50,
Since you sound far more familiar with this Sauer unit would both control shaft rotate if the pins was missing on the side being driven?

Does this model have work port relief valves? Just curious since I know some Eaton units had the reliefs in the motor.

If major leak would he see charge pressure or would it drop?

oldnslo, here are my responses...

1. There are two trunion shafts on this pump, so theoretically if you rotate one and see the opposite side rotate, then you can rule out the pins being displaced.

2. This pump has high pressure relief valves so it is safe to run it in a "dead head" condition.

3. I am following your question logic on this one. I should have been more specific before, it is acting more like a short circuit condition where the high and low pressure loops are connected somehow that is causing the motor not to rotate. The fact that charge pressure is stable leads me to believe it may be more of a hose connection issue instead of a mechanical issue inside the pump or motor. Typically when you have a rotating kit failure you end up with charge pressure dropping as well. The only other internal failure I can think of that could cause this sort of behavior might be a failed endcap casting that is allowing the oil to freely flow between the high and low pressure loops.

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #65  
3. I am following your question logic on this one. I should have been more specific before, it is acting more like a short circuit condition where the high and low pressure loops are connected somehow that is causing the motor not to rotate. The fact that charge pressure is stable leads me to believe it may be more of a hose connection issue instead of a mechanical issue inside the pump or motor. Typically when you have a rotating kit failure you end up with charge pressure dropping as well. The only other internal failure I can think of that could cause this sort of behavior might be a failed endcap casting that is allowing the oil to freely flow between the high and low pressure loops.
I agree it does sound like either a plumbing issue or the motor is spinning but not engaged into the trencher chain drive. If I recall correctly R8 stated the chain would try to move and then their was a lot of chattering. Now stating no movement and no noise so something has changed. Question would a motor spinning freely not build any pressure. I would expect frictional and line losses to show some pressure change.

Last edited:
   / Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #66  
So, my assumption is that the pumps operate a number of things, but can't do it all at the same time. There is NO DIVERTER valve. Was it removed? I have no idea. Perhaps someone declared the trencher 'dead' and decided that it could just be used as an excavator and took hydraulics out? The backfill blade has a 3 spool control, none of the controls do anything, but the lift trencher lift cylinder does work and it is plumbed on that same side. If a diverter valve is missing, where would it pull hydraulic pressure from? The left hand side pump? If so, then I assume you are splitting from backfill to trencher lift cylinder. However, I still have the issue of the trencher motor/pump. Is there a way to test the motor in place?
I looked at schematic and the trencher is the only item that should be connected to the pump in question. The blade is driven from a different pump suspect the gear pump.

I think I have a plumbing issue......I'll get some photos and send out a 'path' of what is happening

I am not with the machine, but I will give an update as to what I think is there. If the backfill blade is operated by the same pump as the trencher lift cylinder, they do not share the same return or feed line. The return line is connected to the trencher chain MOTOR. It is hard to see, but I am pretty sure that is how it is plumbed. If that is the case, is the trencher chain pump being 'dead headed' and only getting oil one way? Is there no 'loop'? It will take me a little bit to sort this out some more, but I will get photos of the unit on Monday. There is an access panel behind the chain boom and I have the boom off, so it won't be too bad to get in there. On 2-10-23, I ran the unit outside and tried to get it to do more operations than before, status quo. I know it needs more oil, but I think I may have a plumbing issue if the backfill blade is supposed to be driven off the same pump as the excavator. I think once that gets sorted, the chain drive issue may reveal itself. Perhaps someone swap hoses and condemned the machine?

Ok, I filled up the hydraulic system all the way and still no change. No backfill blade and no trencher spinning. What I find odd, is the backfill blade still doesn't work. It shares the pressure line that feeds the trencher lift cylinder. The pressure line splits before both control spools, the trencher lift cylinder works great. The blade has pressure if I crack the line, but nothing moves or even groans.

I will add a photo of the trencher motor, if memory serves, there is a port on the side where you can add a gauge.

/ Case DH4B Trencher/Backhoe Won't Spin Trenching Chain #70  
long shot but has the spool stuck or rusted in the valve? can you take the caps off and move the spool?