Carraro 50HP models

/ Carraro 50HP models #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
Does anyone here own one? I am looking for something to mow hills with. I am sure they are great at that. But I would also like to add a front end loader. Can I do that? Can I get it with dual tires or wide tires so I can also cut in low wet areas? How are they for dependability and reliability? Thanks

/ Carraro 50HP models #2  
Are you referring to the Antonio Carraro tractors or the Carraro tractors? They're actually two different manufacturers, even though they are founders are brothers if I remember the history of those brands correctly.

The Carraro tractors are also specialized tractors but more of a conventional tractor design instead of the isodiametric design of the Antonio Carraro ones. I don't think Carraro is even available in the US though.

As far as the Antonio Carraro tractors, while I've not owned one, there are loads of them working daily about 25 miles South of me. It's a big orchard farm area on some nasty hills and these tractors just fit that type of farm perfectly. Mainly pear and apple orchards, literally everywhere.

What I've noticed is that the people who own these tractors, really don't want to let them go. The rare occasion that a few that pop up for sale, are tractors with over 8,000 hours with just regular maintenance. I think that says a lot of the quality and reliability of the tractors. Not saying that it's a perfect tractor that won't break, things happen obviously, but it's still pretty good.

Not entirely sure on what they offer in the US, but the tractors usually come setup with R1 Radial wider tires, and looks like some extra wide high flotation tires good for wet areas but Turfs are also available. I've seen them with duals as well, mainly on videos over in Austria.

I don't want to sound like a salesmen, but I legit think they make a very good tractor and I keep earing nothing but good things about them. I almost got a AC Tigre 3800 had I spoke with the right people behind the counter on that dealer, but the guy I ended up meeting didn't even bothered to come out and show me the tractor. The price was right at the time and would fit my orchards very well though.

/ Carraro 50HP models
Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I think I am looking for the Antonio Carraro brand. There are a couple of dealers in the Southeastern US but they dont sell many of them. I am gonna continue to do some research.

/ Carraro 50HP models #4  
Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I think I am looking for the Antonio Carraro brand. There are a couple of dealers in the Southeastern US but they dont sell many of them. I am gonna continue to do some research.
I just purchased an AC although mine is over 50hp. I take delivery Thursday and I can give some initial impressions then.
BTW I don't think they are really suitable for FEL's but I do know there are some aftermarket 4in1 loaders available. I think they are super rare.

/ Carraro 50HP models
Please update on me with any positives or negatives. I have talked to the dealer about the 5800 models and the 4400 model. I am leaning toward the 4400 model even though it has less horsepower because it does have HST transmission. If I get one I think I would forgo the FEL. I spoke to a dealer in another country via email and they pretty much said the FELs are trash. On another note, your profile says you own a Grasshopper mower. Please tell me about it. Is it a front mount model? Is it useful at all on hills and in wet damp areas? Which tires do you have on it? The reason I am looking at the AC tractors is because I have some areas a traditional tractor will not safely go. I am currently using a Steiner (similar to Ventrac) and it is trash, so I want to get rid of it and replace it with a traditional tractor (which I need anyway) and another mower which will help on hills, wet areas and will also take the place of a zero turn on my lawn. I have never been on a Grasshopper but I know they are quality machines and I am hoping they will work on my slopes. The only other option I have seen is the Altoz tracked zero turn, but I am not really sold on its reliablity, plus it has very few dealers near me. I don't want to swap one problem machine for another problem machine. Feel free to email me if that is more convenient for you. My address is preston@farrcpa.com Thanks for any advice you can offer, I am not a contractor or landscape professional. I use these machines on my own property so I am not nearly as educated on them as some of the professionals are.

/ Carraro 50HP models #6  
Please update on me with any positives or negatives. I have talked to the dealer about the 5800 models and the 4400 model. I am leaning toward the 4400 model even though it has less horsepower because it does have HST transmission. If I get one I think I would forgo the FEL. I spoke to a dealer in another country via email and they pretty much said the FELs are trash. On another note, your profile says you own a Grasshopper mower. Please tell me about it. Is it a front mount model? Is it useful at all on hills and in wet damp areas? Which tires do you have on it? The reason I am looking at the AC tractors is because I have some areas a traditional tractor will not safely go. I am currently using a Steiner (similar to Ventrac) and it is trash, so I want to get rid of it and replace it with a traditional tractor (which I need anyway) and another mower which will help on hills, wet areas and will also take the place of a zero turn on my lawn. I have never been on a Grasshopper but I know they are quality machines and I am hoping they will work on my slopes. The only other option I have seen is the Altoz tracked zero turn, but I am not really sold on its reliablity, plus it has very few dealers near me. I don't want to swap one problem machine for another problem machine. Feel free to email me if that is more convenient for you. My address is preston@farrcpa.com Thanks for any advice you can offer, I am not a contractor or landscape professional. I use these machines on my own property so I am not nearly as educated on them as some of the professionals are.

The grasshopper is an out front model. It is not suitable for anything but minor slopes IMO. I have bar tires on it and weight on the rear. It is good on my "house" yard which is relatively flat compared to some of my other property. It struggles a little in the wet, it will spin tires pretty easily. If I am careful I can avoid this by applying power slower. I do think the out front models do better on the slopes than regular ZT's but for anything over 10 degrees I would not use it personally.

I'll update once I get the AC. Mine is 7600 75hp FWIW, it is HST as well.

PXL_20210713_224428522.jpg

/ Carraro 50HP models
Thanks for the grasshopper info. I was afraid you would say that. I may be forced to keep the steiner but I sure dont want to. I really like your mini truck, how do you like it. I have looked at some used ones as a replacement for a side by side.

/ Carraro 50HP models #8  
Thanks for the grasshopper info. I was afraid you would say that. I may be forced to keep the steiner but I sure dont want to. I really like your mini truck, how do you like it. I have looked at some used ones as a replacement for a side by side.
I love the mini truck. I use it all the time, it has a dump bed which I find very useful. Gets great gas mileage, I use it almost every day.

I got my AC tractor yesterday, I started a new thread in this section.

/ Carraro 50HP models
I love the mini truck. I use it all the time, it has a dump bed which I find very useful. Gets great gas mileage, I use it almost every day.

I got my AC tractor yesterday, I started a new thread in this section.
I saw your post last night and was planning on reaching out to you today. That is an awesome machine. It will probably bush hog/mow any area you need to get to especially since it has the dual wheels. If money was no object I might have to have one myself. Even though the 4400 model I have been looking at is much less expensive than your tractor, the lack of a usable front end loader dooms it for me as an option. Keep us updated on the performance and reliablity of the tractor. I may revisit these tractors in the future. At some point I will get rid of the Steiner and these Carraro type tractors are the only thing I really see that can be used as safely on hills. Thanks again for all you info and good luck.

/ Carraro 50HP models #10  
I have a FEL on my A.C. Comtrac. Not very stable unless have massive counter weight. Sigma brand FEL and you can't get parts for them in the U.S. as I tried. Very nice machine for mowing and if you go TTR the reversibility feature offers nice options for front mounted flail mowers. I gave up on rotary mowers years ago, too many rocks to hit and throw around. Big gap in the horsepower range though, nothing in the 40-50hp range in the TTR or manual transmission models. Lots of these in the orchards in WA state as they the articulation and separate front end portion of the tractor and the rear portion offer extremely nice ground hugging function on rough ground as they rotate separately.