Carpenter Bee Wars

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #31  
I enjoy watching the confused bees hovering around my vinyl.
I'm easily entertained.
I have an old stump pushed up at the property line that is a home for all the wayward carpenter bees that need a place to nest.
Drilled a bunch of holes in it to attract them to it. They seem pleased.....
Are they beneficial in some manner?

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #35  
My son sent this to me...I plan to try it...
IMG_7713.jpg

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #37  
I've been fighting carpenter bees for over 30 years. They're burrowing into the beams and eves of the house & deck. Chemical sprays work fairly well but I'm at the age where climbing a ladder to apply the spray is getting difficult. I tried different traps over the years but none worked very well. Lately, my wife and I have been making sport out of swatting them from the deck with a badminton racket.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked a buddy who works part time as an exterminator. Before spending big $$ on a professional, he suggested I try these traps:

Apparently, they don't work in every case but for us, they seem to be quite effective. My exterminator buddy said to put them in the sun as close to the problem areas as possible. We hung one on each end of our deck and the results are encouraging.

After just 4 days, there are at least 25 bees in the first trap:

View attachment 747156 View attachment 747158 View attachment 747157

and 10 or so in the second:

View attachment 747160 View attachment 747159

We see far fewer flying around than a week ago. We'll see what happens by the end of the season.
I built my own traps like this out of 4x4 post lumber. 1 hole on each side that leads upward to a vertical hole going out the bottom of the block into the mason jar. I have 8 of them on my log garage, shed and house. Each one has captured and killed 20-25 carpenter bees so far this Spring. Made a noticeable dent in the carpenter bee population.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #38  
this is what I spray for those bees. it works !
1653360079402.png

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #39  
I built my own traps like this out of 4x4 post lumber. 1 hole on each side that leads upward to a vertical hole going out the bottom of the block into the mason jar. I have 8 of them on my log garage, shed and house. Each one has captured and killed 20-25 carpenter bees so far this Spring. Made a noticeable dent in the carpenter bee population.
That is what I have, I use a 2 liter soda bottle instead of a jar. Working good.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #40  
I have 3 homemade traps using the 4x4 block and bottle method. They work fine. But they do nothing to protect the buildings. They only capture the bee stupid enough to go inside. The other dozen flying around are not affected at all. I'm looking for a deterrent. :)