Carpenter Bee Wars

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #11  
I used Bifenthrin this year with success, it too is a Pyrethrin. Can get it at TSC,
At least around here.

David
I also use Pyrethrin - a lot. It's great insecticide for many things - such as yellow jackets, ants, ticks, etc.. One caution that I've seen however is that it is deadly to cats; not dogs.

I haven't seen such a warning for Bifethrin though, so I 'assume' that it is safe around cats, which we do have one.

One other insecticide that I occasionally use is Demon WP. Demon seems deadly to just about everything, and it continues protecting for 6 months or more.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #12  
I'm still looking for a long term remedy for Carpenter Bees. We've had an infestation here for the last few years. Pyrithrin works fine if I get it directly on them. Otherwise, as soon as it dries up, the bees are back.

I made the mistake of believing that carpenter bees wouldn't attack painted wood. So I went to a lot of extra work and expense painting various work tables, underneath porches, etc. - all for naught. The paint had hardly dried before they set in to continue drilling holes in everything!

I did find that a solution of Surrender worked, but only as long as it stayed on the wood surface. And so... the war goes on.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #13  
Decent price at local Home Depot:

Going to get some today and protect my giant deck!!!! THANKS OP for the tip!!!

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #15  
I run a a zip tie up into every hole in order to kill the eggs, or larvae, and I leave it in there. In addition, I have a few brown lunch bags I fill with enough material to make the bag pooched out to resemble a hornet nest. Before filling the bag you need to crumple it so it looks more realistic. Then I tie the bag at the top and hang it near any bee activity. Thinking their predators are nearby, bees will move on. I don't recall where I saw this method, but it really works without nasty insecticide use.
Cheap and easy.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #16  
Here in East Texas, there was a period when Western Red Cedar was used on the Fascia of a lot of houses. If it wasn't painted, or the paint has flaked away, the bees will dig tunnels into the cedar and hollow it out. When I'm hired to deal with this, the cedar is ruined. I've never seen any issues with the pine behind the cedar. In every case, I replace all the cedar with Hardie, which solves the problem.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #17  
I've been fighting carpenter bees for over 30 years. They're burrowing into the beams and eves of the house & deck. Chemical sprays work fairly well but I'm at the age where climbing a ladder to apply the spray is getting difficult. I tried different traps over the years but none worked very well. Lately, my wife and I have been making sport out of swatting them from the deck with a badminton racket.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked a buddy who works part time as an exterminator. Before spending big $$ on a professional, he suggested I try these traps:

Apparently, they don't work in every case but for us, they seem to be quite effective. My exterminator buddy said to put them in the sun as close to the problem areas as possible. We hung one on each end of our deck and the results are encouraging.

After just 4 days, there are at least 25 bees in the first trap:

P1090493a.jpg P1090496a.jpg P1090494a.jpg

and 10 or so in the second:

P1090498a.jpg P1090497a.jpg

We see far fewer flying around than a week ago. We'll see what happens by the end of the season.

/ Carpenter Bee Wars #20  
I'm still looking for a long term remedy for Carpenter Bees. We've had an infestation here for the last few years. Pyrithrin works fine if I get it directly on them. Otherwise, as soon as it dries up, the bees are back.

I made the mistake of believing that carpenter bees wouldn't attack painted wood. So I went to a lot of extra work and expense painting various work tables, underneath porches, etc. - all for naught. The paint had hardly dried before they set in to continue drilling holes in everything!

I did find that a solution of Surrender worked, but only as long as it stayed on the wood surface. And so... the war goes on.
Thanks for posting this...I've read they don't like painted wood and was considering painting the bottoms of my porch beams as added protection.