Car Accident Question

/ Car Accident Question #11  
Your insurance co and the other driver's insurance co are playing footsie to mutually benefit themselves.
I have a question regarding responsibility for providing a rental car by at fault drivers insurance.

My wife was t-boned at a 4 way stop yesterday. The other driver was at fault/ticketed failure to yield and our car is at the repair shop waiting for an estimate. It may be a total loss, we don't know yet. In the meantime my wife needs a car to drive. Is it the responsibility of the at fault drivers insurance to provide a rental car to us while waiting for our car to be repaired or replaced?

We have collision insurance on that car but no rental provision. Our insurance is handling the claim, I haven't asked about a rental from other driver's insurance yet.

Thanks for any input,
Kevin
And this is proof your insurance is looking out for their interest at your expense. Instead of needing to go on line for information you need a different agent after this is over. Ever day they stall by supposedly figuring out who should furnish a rental,is a day they don't have to pay for.

/ Car Accident Question #13  
I disagree with your insurance trying evade their responsibility, if you didn't buy that coverage, they won't provide it. Pretty simple (and fair).

Same thing happened to my wife last year. The other party (at fault - yay dashcam!) insurance agreed to rental reimbursement <- important to note that it's reimbursement. Our only problem was that they wouldn't give an exact amount they were willing to cover, and with rental costs in our area at $150/day (for a basic car that 2 years earlier was more like $40/day) for 2 weeks, we weren't too keen to HOPE they would cover the full amount...... That was Geico fwiw; other than the lack of commitment on that point, they behaved better than Mercury throughout the 'ordeal'.

If your car is totalled, remember that replacement costs are currently way over book prices; so you need to be getting paid the actual replacement cost, not what KBB thinks it should be 'in the old days'.

/ Car Accident Question
Called Enterprise, no cars available till next week, if then...

/ Car Accident Question #15  
It's been so long ago I don't remember the details, but when i was hit, my insurance agent got with their insurance co, and next day they delivered a rental to my house. Never saw a bill for it, it was all taken care of. At that time, I had allstate. Good luck with your situation!

/ Car Accident Question #16  
As a Ohio Insurance agent a car rental will fall under the liability coverage of the person who was at fault that hit you.

/ Car Accident Question #17  
I am glad she is ok. I am sure she may be nervous about getting back on the road, especially in a different car. When you rent, be sure to add ALL the insurance they offer, even if you must pay extra for it. Best Wishes.

/ Car Accident Question #18  
Sometimes the repair company has free/cheap loaners. Ask.

/ Car Accident Question #20  
I’m glad to hear that she is OK. Granted it’s a PITA right now, but at the end of the day a car is just plastic and sheet metal.
......and 6 or 7 sources of pollution. Fuel, tranny fluid, anti-freeze, engine lubricant, battery acid and lead. (Abandoned vehicles everywhere here in Oswego County).:cry: