Can't connect quick HD couplers

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I went to put my grapple on this afternoon, and I could NOT attach the Hyd hoses. Shut the engine off, cycled the valve to relieve any pressure and there was no way I could connect those hoses. Never had this happen before. Tried it with engine running or off, no way I could get those fittings on.

Any thoughts??

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #2  
Most generally it's a pressure build-up on the attachment - not the tractor. I cover the male end of the quick disconnect with a doubled-over rag and pop it on a flat surface of the attachment or a quick rap with a hammer. Bit of hyd fluid and you're good to go!

However, on some of the warmer summer days those black hoses will take on some heat - and pressure. I've had to use a couple of box end wrenches to crack the coupler and drain off some of the hyd fluid.

Other's here on TBN have posted their remedies. Lot's of reading and different solutions.

AKfish

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #3  
Just as AKfish says, just keep eyes protected (clothes too) from some oil shooting out when relieving the pressure.

Have often thought of a pliers-like tool on the order of that used for compressing the valve springs could be designed to slip behind the crimped connector and have a cap over the male tip to squeeze and slowly release the oil pressure (plus some oil).

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #4  
Also you can just back off on any hydraulic connection, this will also release the pressure.

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #5  
What i do is have the ends set up so at the atacments I have a male an female end, I allways plug them in as soon as I unhook. That prevents crap from getting around fitting also makes it easy to hook up, i gess becoust there is naver any pressure build up.
Army Grunt

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers
Guys- thx for your responses- and I usually hook the two hoses together on my Fisher. But this Wildkat grapple has the hoses in a sleeve so its too tight- guess I should cut the sleeve a bit so I can loop them around.

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #7  
What i do is have the ends set up so at the atacments I have a male an female end, I allways plug them in as soon as I unhook. That prevents crap from getting around fitting also makes it easy to hook up, i gess becoust there is naver any pressure build up.
Army Grunt

Hey now. That is an idea!

James K0UA

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #8  
Guys- thx for your responses- and I usually hook the two hoses together on my Fisher. But this Wildkat grapple has the hoses in a sleeve so its too tight- guess I should cut the sleeve a bit so I can loop them around.

And one is female and the other male? Seems my attachments have male ends.

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers #9  
Fwiw- This issue stymied me but I found that if I leave the grapple in the open position I do not have the problem. Not sure why. Sort of just lucked into that- prior i had to take a wrench with me and unhook one of the hoses at the cylinder to release the pressure. I also tried connecting the ends (my grapple has a male and a female connector) but then couldn't get them apart...!So out came the wrench!

-Dana

/ Can't connect quick HD couplers
And one is female and the other male? Seems my attachments have male ends.
Correct- as a matter of fact, you buy the kit from Deere to pipe 3rd valve to front of your loader and that is what you get.

by the way guys---DUH! As suggested I just pushed the end of the male on the grapple against a flat surface, popped a squirt of oil and it hooked right up.