Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water.

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #1  

furnone

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 JD 2025R, 2004 John Deere 2210
92654B4E-41E8-4C61-A5F8-435ED7A22459.jpeg
4BDEF7F1-1434-49E7-97FE-6C42AF19C82F.jpeg
10E983A7-039D-4BBC-A098-9AB510B8D272.jpeg

Just upgraded to a 2018 2025R with a ballast box. My 2004 2210 went to my son. I added the 9” extension which I am going to use as a tool box to store chains etc. or fill with removable weight if needed.

I am going to fill the original box with concrete. Can I just dump the bags in the box, add water and swirl it around a bit? Or, do I need to mix with water prior to dumping it?

Does it matter which bags of concrete I buy?

Attachments

• 8DF2E575-3A6B-4047-B1E7-64142E929CB3.jpeg
    8DF2E575-3A6B-4047-B1E7-64142E929CB3.jpeg
    841.2 KB · Views: 158
   / Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #2  
Makes no difference what kind of concrete you purchase, nor in this case, does it make any difference about adding water after you've put the concrete into the ballast box. It won't be as strong as you could make it, but it makes no difference. since the concrete is contained by the box.
You might consider just adding a little water at the top - to cement the granules together and keep them from "dusting". That way, if you decide later to remove the concrete, you won't have to break it to get it out. Think also about any drain hole at the bottom.

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water.
I read somewhere that the water adds weight and can’t completely evaporate because it can’t escape once the concrete hardens. Any truth to that?

Of course, water only weighs about 7.5 pounds per gallon and I suppose I won’t need more than a gallon, so your idea about future removal sounds good.

I also lined it with a plastic bag that will help with future removal too.

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #4  
I was debating on putting a box on the back of my Branson and filling with sand.

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #5  
No need to mix first. This mix is specifically designed to eliminate mixing first. I have used it to set posts. It works.
1645584062561.png

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #6  
I like sand or concrete blocks better. Be my luck - just as soon as concrete sets and hardens, I would want to change it. Maybe reduce the weight or use the box for carrying something. Also, concrete weighs about 4000 pounds a yard. That is about 150 pounds a cu ft. Do a good assessment of how much weight you need.

Last edited:
   / Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #7  
Of course, water only weighs about 7.5 pounds per gallon and I suppose I won’t need more than a gallon, so your idea about future removal sounds good.
You must have some of that "light weight" water... Every place else water weighs aprox. 8.34 pounds per gallon.

SR

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water.
Well, we have soft water. 😆

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #9  
I like sand or concrete blocks better. Be my luck - just as soon as concrete sets and hardens, I would want to change it. Maybe reduce the weight or use the box for carrying something. Also, concrete weighs about 4000 pounds a yard. That is about 150 pounds a cu ft. Do a good assessment of how much weight you need.
I would fill it with pea gravel or sand instead of concrete. That way it could be removed if you ever want to use the box to carry something.

/ Can I just pour cement in ballast box and add water. #10  
I would fill it with pea gravel or sand instead of concrete. That way it could be removed if you ever want to use the box to carry something.
I agree, plan on using it when you least expect to.