Can a diesel engine run on gas. .

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #81  
That page looks to be clickbait, 10 or more ads per inch of text, with no real value. Thanks anyhow.
My adblocker must have been doing it's job.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #82  
I am only replying because a memory requires it.

When a kid I remember throwing lit matches into containers of gasoline...The matches went out...why I do not know. But I DO KNOW the containers held gasoline. They were coffee 5 LB. coffee cans I think.

Not recommended by any means. I guess we were lucky...did it more than once though...
It's the fumes which are explosive. The can kept them confined unlike using it to start a brush fire, which is why they caution you against using it.
Years ago my boss' husband was a firefighter, for one of our safety meetings she asked him to teach us how to use a fire extinguisher. He had an open pan with gasoline in it which he would light; and each of us took a turn putting it out.
I've had the same experience as you describe though, I use a 55 gallon drum cut in half length wise to burn old gas, used oil, etc. I tried standing back and tossing a kitchen match in but it always went out. I've learned to soak a newspaper in diesel, drape it over the side of the barrel and set it on fire.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #83  
After I dropped in 5 gallons I ran it plowing for 2 hrs . seemed to be noisier but I didnt have the side panels on the motor. Now what . How to I get the fuel out? Syphon hose ?? . Going to check the fuel filter to see whats there.
I will be shocked after you plowed for 2 hours you did no engine damage.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #84  
Actually if they provided octane ratings of diesel it would be higher. Diesel is rated by Cetane which is the energy in the fuel. Octane rating is the resistance to self combustion. That is why you need higher octane fuels in the high compression engines. Fuel will only combust once it is vaporized. If you drop a lot match in diesel it will go out before the fuel ignites. Drop it in gasoline it will ignite before the match hits the fuel
Cetane rating is an indicator of combustion speed. It has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel. Higher cetane rating means faster combustion speed. Octane is pretty much the opposite. It is the measure of the resistance to detonation from compression. Like the cetane rating, octane has nothing to do with the energy in the fuel. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of publications available to the public online for no charge that explain how both cetane and octane rating work and how these rating are tested.
Eric

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #85  
That page looks to be clickbait, 10 or more ads per inch of text, with no real value. Thanks anyhow.
I got ZERO ads on that page. Must be the TWO adblockers and a Popup blocker I have in my browser... FREE AND EFFECTIVE with Firefox browser.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #86  
   / Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #87  
I am only replying because a memory requires it.

When a kid I remember throwing lit matches into containers of gasoline...The matches went out...why I do not know. But I DO KNOW the containers held gasoline. They were coffee 5 LB. coffee cans I think.

Not recommended by any means. I guess we were lucky...did it more than once though...
I tried that ONCE. I nearly burned down my dad's workshop...

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #88  
Cetane rating is an indicator of combustion speed. It has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel. Higher cetane rating means faster combustion speed. Octane is pretty much the opposite. It is the measure of the resistance to detonation from compression. Like the cetane rating, octane has nothing to do with the energy in the fuel. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of publications available to the public online for no charge that explain how both cetane and octane rating work and how these rating are tested.
Eric
This is how cutaneous is measured:

From Dieselnet.com

“Cetane Number​

Cetane numbers are measured using a method developed in the 1930s by the Cooperative Fuel Research (CFR) Committee, and later standardized as ASTM D613. The test involves running the fuel in a single cylinder, continuously variable compression ratio CFR Cetane Engine. Two primary reference fuels (hydrocarbons) define the cetane number scale:

• n-hexadecane (also called cetane, n-C16H34), which has very good ignition quality, was assigned the cetane number of 100;
  • 1-methylnaphthalene, which has a poor ignition quality, was assigned a cetane number of zero.
In 1962, the low cetane number reference fuel was replaced with 2,2,4,4,6,8,8-heptamethylnonane (also called isocetane or HMN), which had better oxidation stability and was easier to use in the CFR engine. When measured against the two original standards, 2,2,4,4,6,8,8-heptamethylnonane has a cetane number of 15. When a fuel has the same ignition delay period as a mixture of the two primary reference fuels, its cetane number is derived from the volume percent of cetane and heptamethylnonane, as follows:

Cetane number = % cetane + 0.15 (% heptamethylnonane)(1)

In routine operations, the two primary reference fuels are replaced by two secondary reference fuels: T-fuel and U-fuel. These fuels are calibrated against the primary reference fuels and made available to testing labs by Chevron Phillips, the sole source supplier. The fuel supplier provides blend ratio instructions to achieve cetane numbers bounded by the values for the U and T fuels. Table 1 provides an example of T and U reference fuels, as well as their specifications.”

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #89  
Gas is about twice the octane, but doesn't have the lubricating qualities of diesel. (Neither does kerosene.)
A woman at a local convenience store accidently pumped gas into her diesel Mercedes. She called a friend who works on industrial diesels for a living, and he told her to dump a quart of oil into the tank and carefully drive it to his shop, about 18 miles away.
Interestingly I like many other work mates have run our diesels on Jet fuel similar to kero. No ill effects?

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #90  
If gas will destroy a diesel engine can some please explain how a friends old TD9 International crawler with a over shot bucket starts on gas and then is switched over to diesel to work. I realize there is no load as it sits and warms up
Ah, memories. Ran a road grader with this same arrangement, start on gas and switch to diesel after warm up. It was a great machine for snow plowing, would always start in the coldest weather. There was only one extra control to throw. Not even as complicated as a pony motor start.