Buying Advice Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #111  
Go in the service department. Look at the shop. Talk to the supervisor. You can pick up on a lot of information just being observant and talking with the guy running the shop.

If he doesn't have time for you, maybe that is an indication he won't have time for you when you actually need service.

/ Cab or no cab? #113  
Go in the service department. Look at the shop. Talk to the supervisor. You can pick up on a lot of information just being observant and talking with the guy running the shop.

If he doesn't have time for you, maybe that is an indication he won't have time for you when you actually need service.

This. Be suspect of any place that won't let you meet with the techs. I understand they might be busy, and I'd offer to cater to their schedule, but an outright refusal is a no-go from me.

/ Cab or no cab? #114  
Interesting perspective concerning research, I have to say. I guess your experience differs greatly from mine. Sorry, but I just don't have a lot of faith in just flipping a coin or using arbitrary criteria to make major decisions for me.

But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

As for your comment about the differences between the India made and the Japanese made Mahindras, I will ask my friend the time frame of when he spoke to the service tech I mentioned above. You know, doing research and all. :)
Being in the business for as long as I have and rubbing elbows with all the major dealers, has taught me a thing or two.
There is nothing arbitrary to tractor selection.
It is all about "criteria".
One of mine is "closest wins" and why do you think I came to that conclusion? And if you think that arbitrary, you'd be wrong.
Look, I'm trying to help you and make this as easy as possible.
My opinion is based on being in the business.
Some simply do not do "easy" as they feel it gives credence to their selection making it as complicated as possible. Makes them feel better about what they decide on no matter what it may be but you go your own route and as I said before, good luck.

I guess it would be very difficult for you to simply go to your nearest tractor dealer and sit on their stuff to see what fits you ergonomically and have years of trouble free service and enjoyment once purchased.
One cannot tell the future even with best laid plans and so on.

My well wishes to you and your wife.
I , as several here, have gone the route you now travel family wise.

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab?
Being in the business for as long as I have and rubbing elbows with all the major dealers, has taught me a thing or two.
There is nothing arbitrary to tractor selection.
It is all about "criteria".
One of mine is "closest wins" and why do you think I came to that conclusion? And if you think that arbitrary, you'd be wrong.
Look, I'm trying to help you and make this as easy as possible.
My opinion is based on being in the business.
Some simply do not do "easy" as they feel it gives credence to their selection making it as complicated as possible. Makes them feel better about what they decide on no matter what it may be but you go your own route and as I said before, good luck.

I guess it would be very difficult for you to simply go to your nearest tractor dealer and sit on their stuff to see what fits you ergonomically and have years of trouble free service and enjoyment once purchased.
One cannot tell the future even with best laid plans and so on.

My well wishes to you and your wife.
I , as several here, have gone the route you now travel family wise.
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the help I am getting here. But if I recall the conversation correctly, you stated that "closest wins" was your ONLY criteria, not just one of several. That is what I stubbed my toe on and commented that this is not my way of logic and use of good sense. If that "closest wins only "were the case, all I would need to do is to look at a map, find the nearest tractor dealer, regardless of brand, and pick the one out of whatever they have that comes the closest to having whatever features and options I want, and take it home with me. Regardless of any other criteria. Including price, and regardless of my getting exactly what I really want.

At the very least with my research, I have seen many differences in options and what sort of bells and whistles may come as standard options or optional add-ons with further price tags attached to them. And so prices are all over the map, as are capabilities, which I think really need to be considered. But that is my opinion.

My SOP for stuff like this is to first figure out WHAT I want. Then find out WHO has it available. Then of those sources, who will offer the best deal and/or be what seems to be the best place to do business with. Not to say that step one may change as research uncovers criteria I didn't know about or think about beforehand. But I then just start the process all over again. Eventually I either get what I really want, or has happened in the past, I conclude that what I want does not exist, or just is not available for what I want to pay for it. Game over.

In any event, thank you for the well wishes. It is appreciated.

/ Cab or no cab? #116  
Never cab for me I like open station and spend to much time around trees, just give me a big canopy, that is all that is needed.

/ Cab or no cab? #117  
Is it a silly idea wanting to get a small tractor with a cab anyway? Suck it up, buttercup, face the elements and take the scars?

If you are retired why not tractor during just nice days? Then you can skip the cab.

Note that I live full time in Florida too, about 100 miles from Crawfordville/Tallahassee.

Today, July 31, 2023 the weather forecast is 74 degrees at dawn. Tractor from 7:00 AM until 11:00 AM, then quit for the day. You will be tired after four hours. In retirement there is always tomorrow......until there isn't........

I always wear long pants, long sleeved shirts and leather shoes on the tractor. I also consistently use aerosol combination insect repellent and sun screen. Too much mosquito spread equine encephalitis and West Nile virus where I live. Maybe malaria around Crawfordville.

I can never remember having a bee sting on the tractor EXCEPT WHEN MOWING.

If you intend to store your new tractor in a garage, note that the standard height for garage beam headers is 84". Research if your potential cab can pass under an 84" header. < Probably not. >

Getting to where doing minor clearing manually is no longer much fun.

A Ratchet Rake bucket attachment is likely what you need. One of my favorite tractor tools.

YouTube VIDEOS:

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 258

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #118  
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the help I am getting here. But if I recall the conversation correctly, you stated that "closest wins" was your ONLY criteria, not just one of several. That is what I stubbed my toe on and commented that this is not my way of logic and use of good sense. If that "closest wins only "were the case, all I would need to do is to look at a map, find the nearest tractor dealer, regardless of brand, and pick the one out of whatever they have that comes the closest to having whatever features and options I want, and take it home with me. Regardless of any other criteria. Including price, and regardless of my getting exactly what I really want.

At the very least with my research, I have seen many differences in options and what sort of bells and whistles may come as standard options or optional add-ons with further price tags attached to them. And so prices are all over the map, as are capabilities, which I think really need to be considered. But that is my opinion.

My SOP for stuff like this is to first figure out WHAT I want. Then find out WHO has it available. Then of those sources, who will offer the best deal and/or be what seems to be the best place to do business with. Not to say that step one may change as research uncovers criteria I didn't know about or think about beforehand. But I then just start the process all over again. Eventually I either get what I really want, or has happened in the past, I conclude that what I want does not exist, or just is not available for what I want to pay for it. Game over.

In any event, thank you for the well wishes. It is appreciated.
Here's why I say "closest wins" an how it incorporates a bunch of needs for the purchaser:
1. You want a cab and you should get a grapple. Many manufacturers and dealerships would provide that so it is not an "uncommon request". ..
2. If the dealership is close, that provides you large degree of convenience and not just for tractor servicing but also for any other stuff you may need fo your outdoor activities.
Most places just don't sell tractors. It's simply cheaper in the long run. The only thing that would sway me from this criteria would be if the dealer has a poor reputation. You can judge that by staying on the lot for 20 minutes and see how many return customers keep walking into the dealership.
My shop is in the boonies but we have a steady flow of customers all day long and yes, you can talk to our service ppl.
3. Wherever you go, pricing can always be negotiated. If you stay in control of the sale instead of allowing the dealership to control such, then you're the captain of your expenditure. Doesn't matter where you go if so with this attitude.
4. You will get used to whatever you buy. Running your tractor no matter what it is, will become like breathing to you. In the long run, it will not matter.

I know this statement I am about to make may seem like heresy to you. The fact of the matter is, the least important thing in this journey of yours is the "brand" of the tractor.
You can buy what you think is the best and have trouble. You can buy what you think is the worst (why would anyone do that?) and have years of trouble free service.
There is nothing set in stone about this and eventually, it all becomes very arbitrary.

You'll see down the line, everything I've said to you is on point.
I completely understand how implausible I sound to you and if I were you, I'd be just as skeptical.
I have simply seen and experienced stuff in this field that there is little reasoning to be had as a binding agent.

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab?
Well, OK, I went to the closest tractor dealer to me. They sell the TYM brand. I went there before to look at their T25 model, which is a bit on the small size, but seemed like what I was looking for. The problem was that they offered it with a cab, but no AC. Fail. At the time, I wasn't interested in looking at their larger models that would have a cab with AC, so went elsewhere on a search.

During that time, I think I learned a lot here and from MANY YouTube videos I have watched. All that info went into the brain hopper and got churned around. What became most important on the list rose to the top. Definitely want a cab. Weight matters, so a heavier tractor would be better (for me) than a lighter one. Issue of AC with a 25 horsepower engine produced ambivalent answers. But obviously higher HP would be better than lower HP, just in case. Heavier weight and functional AC pushes towards higher HP than lower. Which means a larger tractor overall. And having a dealer closer rather than further away is apparently a worthy factor to consider. So with all of those ingredients mixed in my mind, I went back to the TYM dealer, who is about 20 minutes away from me, and took a long hard look at the other models they had on the lot. Honestly, they didn't have a big selection, but I found myself circling the T474 they had there quite a bit. Had nearly all of the features I wanted that typically come standard or at least readily available as options. I was leaning towards the Kioti brand, but after the salesman at that 1.5 hour away dealership seems to not want to talk to me any longer after I commented on the high price tag he is putting on 15 more horsepower, I guess he has more customers than he knows what to do with, and doesn't need my business.

I got a price on the TYM T474HC model from the local dealer, and honestly the price quite surprised me. VERY reasonable. I even checked with him to make sure he didn't quote a price on the non cab version or without the loader. Yep, that was the price.

So that is the way I am leaning now. Still want to do some research yet before pulling the trigger. Honestly, I ruled out a backhoe, because it just pushed the price way beyond what I really wanted to pay. But with the TYM, it just became feasible again. I just need to figure out if I REALLY want that option or not. But then again, wouldn't be the first time I have purchased a tool that I use rarely. But the nice thing about it is that when I NEED it, I HAVE it. :)

Thanks all for all of the input and advice. It was ALL very useful and helpful. Even if it seemed I was fighting against the tide.

/ Cab or no cab? #120  
Well, OK, I went to the closest tractor dealer to me. They sell the TYM brand. I went there before to look at their T25 model, which is a bit on the small size, but seemed like what I was looking for. The problem was that they offered it with a cab, but no AC. Fail. At the time, I wasn't interested in looking at their larger models that would have a cab with AC, so went elsewhere on a search.

During that time, I think I learned a lot here and from MANY YouTube videos I have watched. All that info went into the brain hopper and got churned around. What became most important on the list rose to the top. Definitely want a cab. Weight matters, so a heavier tractor would be better (for me) than a lighter one. Issue of AC with a 25 horsepower engine produced ambivalent answers. But obviously higher HP would be better than lower HP, just in case. Heavier weight and functional AC pushes towards higher HP than lower. Which means a larger tractor overall. And having a dealer closer rather than further away is apparently a worthy factor to consider. So with all of those ingredients mixed in my mind, I went back to the TYM dealer, who is about 20 minutes away from me, and took a long hard look at the other models they had on the lot. Honestly, they didn't have a big selection, but I found myself circling the T474 they had there quite a bit. Had nearly all of the features I wanted that typically come standard or at least readily available as options. I was leaning towards the Kioti brand, but after the salesman at that 1.5 hour away dealership seems to not want to talk to me any longer after I commented on the high price tag he is putting on 15 more horsepower, I guess he has more customers than he knows what to do with, and doesn't need my business.

I got a price on the TYM T474HC model from the local dealer, and honestly the price quite surprised me. VERY reasonable. I even checked with him to make sure he didn't quote a price on the non cab version or without the loader. Yep, that was the price.

So that is the way I am leaning now. Still want to do some research yet before pulling the trigger. Honestly, I ruled out a backhoe, because it just pushed the price way beyond what I really wanted to pay. But with the TYM, it just became feasible again. I just need to figure out if I REALLY want that option or not. But then again, wouldn't be the first time I have purchased a tool that I use rarely. But the nice thing about it is that when I NEED it, I HAVE it. :)

Thanks all for all of the input and advice. It was ALL very useful and helpful. Even if it seemed I was fighting against the tide.
Congratulations on your new machine.
I thought 50 was too big but when I bought, the 35 I wanted was still 6 months backordered. I' am glad I got the 50. I think you will be glad too. The only time I think the Bomer 50 is too big is when I try to use it in a building.