BX25 SnowPlowOMatic

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
Well Idea #1 is on paper, literally. I drew this plate in AutoCAD
and printed it out 1:1 on a white sheet of paper. Looks promising.
Adding a .375" quality U-Bolt on each side around the lower-front
tube section and I just might have something.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #12  
Like you, I'm a tinkerer and often do things I didn't know couldn't be done. Some work, some not so much, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

In this instance, you might want to consider "backstopping" the tubular frame of the plow.

My concern is that placing all the push load on the end of the grapple jaws (which in themselves are more than rugged enough) will transfer, and multiply via leverage, all that torque to the mounting point of the grapple assembly on the top of the bucket.

If you work out a way to transfer that load to the back of the bucket by adding to the tubular frame or perhaps bolting a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the bucket, you'll lessen the load on the grapple mount without making much difference in the amount of snow the bucket can handle.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #13  
A very creative idea - hope it works out.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
Paul, Yea I have been chewing on all the forces, well, as best as I can.
The top of my bucket was reinforced w/ a piece of, I think it was 3" x 2" x .25"
Angle iron all across the top, then the grapple was added. I am more worried about
"backstopping" the tips of the teeth of the claws. Were thinking about making a
bolt on saddle of sorts to stop any side to side movement nor rearwards movement.

HERE is a link to the GrappleOMatic build thread, It shows how I beefed it up
on the top in post #1 me thinks.
Good eye !

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #15  
Interesting idea, can't wait for the video.
One concern I would have is the lateral load on the grapple arms when the plow is angled. The grapple wasn't designed for lateral loads. The jaws are made from a flat piece of metal with strength in only one axis. The cross members help some, but there is a good distance between them and the mounting pins ( pic 2 ). You might want to consider a couple of diagonal braces from the tube/jaw connection back to the opposite pin area.
Good luck, and never stop tinkering.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #16  
Interesting idea, can't wait for the video.
One concern I would have is the lateral load on the grapple arms when the plow is angled. The grapple wasn't designed for lateral loads. The jaws are made from a flat piece of metal with strength in only one axis. The cross members help some, but there is a good distance between them and the mounting pins ( pic 2 ). You might want to consider a couple of diagonal braces from the tube/jaw connection back to the opposite pin area.
Good luck, and never stop tinkering.

That is exactly what I also observed.
2 diagonals in the form of 'X' would be my suggestion, and at that horizontal rather than vertical.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
Amvcane,
I am considering something like this, and maybe a small "Stop" at the very bottom, behind the claw tips so they can not be pushed back.

FRONT-VIEW-CAD.jpg

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic #18  
If I'm looking at that drawing right, I see 2 angles bolted to the bottom of the bucket to stop the grapple jaws and the plow from moving laterally. Correct?

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
If I'm looking at that drawing right, I see 2 angles bolted to the bottom of the bucket to stop the grapple jaws and the plow from moving laterally. Correct?

Yes, that is what I will most likely do, but I might weld them instead of bolting them.

/ BX25 SnowPlowOMatic
The company that does my water jet cutting just purchased a brand new OMAX 80
so I have been waiting on parts. I drew the brackets in CAD and had them cut.
Additionally I had two custom high quality U BOLTS fabbed up.
The brackets are drilled in, hopefully tomorrow the U-Bolts will get drilled in
and I will do a video sans snow.

I have it working, is it perfect no, but it will surrrreeee
beat shovelin' ! Couple this w/ my rear 5' blade and I might
just have a nifty lil snow removal and light gravel moving set-up.

This is an all bolt on / off installation.

CLICK HERE to see custom parts