BX2230 PTO not working

/ BX2230 PTO not working #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
Need advice on this BX2230 I just purchased as a project mower. the pto does not work front or rear from what I have read it is probably the gear inside the transmission but my problem is I don't know where to start top or bottom. can I access the pto by raising the tractor up and going from the bottom or do I remove the rops and fenders and break it into?

/ BX2230 PTO not working #2  
Not sure but you may have to take the whole transaxle out to do it, getting the service manual probably a good idea.

David

/ BX2230 PTO not working #3  
Woody,

In following up with what David_Kb7uns suggested to purchasing a service manual for your machine, I would agree with him. Here is the part number for the BX2230 Work Shop Manual: 97897-17061

I just checked pricing for you and they are $23.85, a fairly inexpensive manual. You can order these online @ Kubota Tractor Corporation

Also, follow this link: Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List

then accept the "Terms & Conditions" to open yourself into the Illustrated Parts Manual home screen. In the box type in your model. (for a more specific search, click on "Serial No." and type in your machine serial number). Once you have done that, below you will see a heading in orange labeled "Book" & below that you will see "OPEN" where you will then have the entire parts break down for the BX2230.

Good Luck my friend. If you need any additional help feel free to send me a message & I will get back to you as soon as I am able.

/ BX2230 PTO not working
Thanks for the reply, will be starting on this soon I hope.

/ BX2230 PTO not working #5  
Just out of curiosity does your shift lever actually move the gear that engages your pto's .I don't know if the shift fork is pinned to the shifter shaft.Could check that first

/ BX2230 PTO not working #6  
Just out of curiosity does your shift lever actually move the gear that engages your pto's .I don't know if the shift fork is pinned to the shifter shaft.Could check that first

I sure agree with Massey Driver -- first check the mechanical linkage between your lever and the shift in/out of the PTO and then understand how the linkage works as he suggests. Also, most dealers don't bite and their experience is worth a lot. I'd ask an old established dealer's service manager -- "What is the most common problem for this symptom?"

/ BX2230 PTO not working #7  
Also, not to insult your knowing the machine, but both those levers (the one that selects which shafts are to turn and the one that engages whatever you selected with the first one) have to be in the right place for a PTO to turn. I assume you have jiggled them both around?

/ BX2230 PTO not working
I sure agree with Massey Driver -- first check the mechanical linkage between your lever and the shift in/out of the PTO and then understand how the linkage works as he suggests. Also, most dealers don't bite and their experience is worth a lot. I'd ask an old established dealer's service manager -- "What is the most common problem for this symptom?"

Thanks MD and JWR for the reply, I have looked at the levers but could not tell a lot about them I think I need to lift it up so I can investigate a little more. I did ask a local dealer and he says what happens is people don't wait for everything to stop turning and try to engage the PTO therefore grinding the gear. I hope it is a linkage problem.

/ BX2230 PTO not working
Also, not to insult your knowing the machine, but both those levers (the one that selects which shafts are to turn and the one that engages whatever you selected with the first one) have to be in the right place for a PTO to turn. I assume you have jiggled them both around?

No insult taken but yes I jiggled the levers and when I can get back to it and raise it up I'll do it some more. went out to look at it yesterday but the battery was dead and I have jumped it off a couple of times and left the battery on charge for days. so I went and got a new battery for it, I did mention this is a project mower LOL.

/ BX2230 PTO not working
I finally got some time off of work to work on the little tractor, got the transmission out and cleaned up and Dad came up for a visit at 76 years young he still likes working in the shop so we tore into the transmission and found three gears with bad teeth and a broken shaft, four bearing with some rough spots while rolling them so I ordered the parts to put it back together and now I am waiting on the time and parts.