BX Move the fuel filter without a kit?

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #1  

winddance

I have searched and haven't found anything on this. Lots of posts, maybe I missed it. I have changed my underbody fuel filter several times and I am sick of doing it. Usually because it clogs in the winter.
Is there any problem with just moving the underbody fuel filter under the hood? Has anyone done this? Just running two hoses from underneath and putting a stock or similar filter on the hoses, and strap it down under the hood. Seems to be plenty of places to strap it on. Thanks in advance.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #2  
Well, you can probably put it anywhere but why bother? I would think the location is not going to change anything for you and might (if you have my kind of luck) just cause trouble.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #3  
Only concern it that that filter is before your lift pump under the tractor. If you relocate it there will be no filter keeping trash out of the lift pump.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #4  
I'm not sure about your question but have you tried filtering your fuel and adding conditioner before putting it in the tank?

I use a spin on filter and a water separator on my bulk tank and rarely have trouble on any of my tractors.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #5  
If it "clogs on the winter" is it really clogging per se or is it just getting gel for fuel due to low temps? Below 12 deg F ? Where are you located?

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #6  
Interestingly, both of my Kubota's have factory welded tabs on the right loader upright to relocate the fuel filters (which I have never done anyway). Instead a installed a Racor in line filter before the OEM filters and I've since never fiddled with them Just change the spin on Racor filter which has a see through bottom bowl so I canh see how much contaminates are present.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #7  
That shouldn't be an issue as long as the filters position in the fuel system is not changed. If I remember correctly, the BX fuel system is the same as on my ZD326 and previous ZD331 mower : Tank > Filter 1 > Electric Lift Pump > Filter 2 > Injection Pump.

I replaced the first inline filter on my ZD mowers (not the current ZD1211 though) with a large 2 micron cartridge filter. I've never had to bother with the second inline filter since.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #8  
This picture is what I did with mine. There is a fuel line running to the tank from this new filter and then back again to the fuel pump. I can’t think of a reason you couldn’t just use a factory filter in this spot instead of the Racor unit I used. Sorry, forgot the picture.
9CAA7E6F-1AD2-4E7A-A5E2-2EC047DBCC3F.jpeg

Last edited:
   / BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #9  
20220218_124754.jpg

You need about 7' of fuel line, splice and some decent clamps. keep relocated filter low - it' gravity feed from the tank.

/ BX Move the fuel filter without a kit? #10  
Just relocate the filter. Pretty easy solution.
You could take the rear one out, then install it up behind the other one at the engine. You`ll still have 2 filters inline before the injection pump.