Oil & Fuel BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I had the same problem with my BX2660, and now my BX2670. When it’s really cold, like single digit cold, the fuel gels up regardless of additive.
I put plenty of Power Service in the winter blend fuel from the fuel station, and that did nothing. Then I added Opti-Lube snd let it run for 30 minutes, started plowing, and she started bucking all over again.
I firmly believe it’s the poorly designed fuel filter under the frame that gels up because it has no heat. But then again, I wonder if it’s the fuel pump freezing up.
I bought a BX fuel filter kit from Bota Products to go to the remote located B-type filter, but never got it installed. Now I wonder if it will matter in the winter, thinking maybe it’s the fuel pump that freezes. I never had an issue with the three B’s I’ve had in much colder temps than this, but both BX’s don’t run in single digits or colder.
Anyone else having similar issues?

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #2  
I'm finding out that a additive alone will not protect against gelling. The fuel needs to be a winter blend from a good source.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #3  
Try Howes instead of Power Service. I had issue with Power Service and switched and no more issues.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive
I’ve had worse issues with Howes.
In the tests I’ve seen, Howes unfortunately comes up at the bottom of the pile for freeze protection and lubricity. I figured Opti-Lube, who is at the top, would help, but no luck. Just frustrating.

I'm finding out that a additive alone will not protect against gelling. The fuel needs to be a winter blend from a good source.

I am running winter blended fuel AND additive. I think it’s overkilll. That’s why I wonder if the unprotected and unheated filter or fuel pump is the issue.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #6  
I run Schaeffers Diesel Treat 2000 and use straight #1 diesel. Today is the first day above zero in the past 18 (we’ve been having lows from -30° to -45° and highs -5° to -10°). I needed to pull the element out of the filter housing on my fuel trailer in order to fill (I only put the Diesel Treat 2000 directly in my tractor or CTL tank, not the trailer) but it felt like tee shirt weather being above zero for a change so I had to play outside for an hour and didn’t have any fuel issues.

So, are any of you running a BX? I really think this is a BX issue with the poor lawnmower fuel filter design, or the dinky fuel pump. I’ve had three B’s over the years, and ran them in winter in sub-zero weather without ever having an issue. Now, both BX’s have had the same problem. I always run treated fuel, and it just seems weird that the B’s were a non-issue.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #8  
So, are any of you running a BX? I really think this is a BX issue with the poor lawnmower fuel filter design, or the dinky fuel pump. I’ve had three B’s over the years, and ran them in winter in sub-zero weather without ever having an issue. Now, both BX’s have had the same problem. I always run treated fuel, and it just seems weird that the B’s were a non-issue.

Is there any chance it could be the fuel? Reason I ask is that this year I have been having a problem that feels like fuel flow in cold weather. This is a new problem I've never had before. I run winter blend #1 automotive diesel and also treat it with Opti-lube winter additive at the higher of the two recommended doses.

The symptoms are that the tractor runs fine at low to medium throttle, but if I go to full throttle it begins to slow down after half a minute or so.
This is on a full size commercial TLB, so it isn't a cold weather design problem with the fuel pump or filter.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #9  
Project Farm to the rescue.

Which Diesel Anti-Gel Additive is Best? Let's find out! - YouTube

I use Power Service (in the white jug) and have for several years without issue. I run off-road in the tractors and I'm not sure when they switch the off-road to a winter blend. The last time I bought off-road was the end of August of last year and it has been single digits in the garage lately. Plowed 6 inches on fresh snow yesterday and no issues.

/ BX Fuel Gels Up Despite Additive #10  
I'm running a bx2370 up north without any issues in cold weather, maybe you have water in the fuel. You could drain the tank and check it.