Mowing Bush Hog for Dummies

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #21  
I own a yanmar sa424. Guy has a 4 ft bush hog razor back for sale.
Looks almost new in pics.
This will be my first pto implement.
School me on a couple questions.
1. What’s the difference between shear pin and slip clutch and is one better than the other and why. sheer pin is a grade 2 bolt so it will break. a slip clutch is for larger bush hogs. it is about 6 inches round x2 with clutch material.stay wiuth sheer pin.

2. If it’s a slip clutch is that a deal breaker.no set it so it will slip

3. Ifs it a shear pin is that a deal breaker.no you may only break it 1 time a year. just put in another bolt!

4. How can you tell by looking which it is. I don’t think he knows.big round thing on gear box

5. Is 550 dollars a good price. not bad fair price.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies
Too short and you use it you can have one end of the shaft flopping around on your pto damaging all manner of things including the tractor

Where to purchase - any ag supply BUT ya gotta know what size the Spline on your pto is. Yup there are different sizes, check the manual.

Pricey? It doesn't matter. Ya gotta have the right size. It's not an option. Around $200 most likely

How to tell if ya do already? Mount the hog, raise it to max height and see if it falls apart, Mark (or measure) it and remove it and see how many inches of engagement you have left, You need about 6" or more. More is better. Then with the tractor and hog on level ground and see if the shaft has some more compression left. It should have a couple inches.

Don't forget to grease the Universal joints AND DON'T OVER DO or you will blow out the Seals.

Wow. This is a heck of an education. Didn’t know any of this stuff.

First hog got sold before I could get it.
Just saw a woods RC4 for sale.
Looks brand new.
Asking 750.
Said he bought a push button release for pto. Not sure what that is.
Pic shows it mounted to a kubota sub compact.
That’s why I think shaft may be to short for my tractor.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #23  
"bought a push button release for pto."

Google it look for images. You'll prolly find a video too

"Pic shows it mounted to a kubota sub compact. That’s why I think shaft may be to short for my tractor"
Might be.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #25  
Let me guess, that one sold too while you were posting in here. A like new woods RC4 for $750, point me to it I'll buy it while you're thinking about it.

I put a Woods GC48 Box blade on FB last night at around 8:30pm, by 9pm I had it sold. Guys know what they are looking for and what things are worth and jump all of anything with a good price. I got $750 for it, bought it a few months ago for $700.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #26  
Another minor point once you get a mower and start operating it; the blades won't stop turning just because you disengaged the PTO or throw the clutch in. Mine will spin for several minutes so make sure to use care when jumping off and also to keep kids, pets, and other people away from it. It's also good to make sure it's stopped before engaging the PTO again or you will hear noises you don't want to.
Or so I've been told. ;)

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #27  
it has been stated that the clutch / shear pin protect the drive line True

the Main Purpose is to protect the Gear Box

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #28  
it has been stated that the clutch / shear pin protect the drive line True

the Main Purpose is to protect the Gear Box
On the cutter or tractor?

My biggest concern is the largest and most expensive repair, the tractor.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #29  
I haven't shopped for a mower, but if it's in good shape that seems like a good price. When shopping used, I wouldn't be fussy about which it has. If it's a shear pin, check to make sure that it hasn't been replaced with a grade 5 bolt.
Standard shear bolts for a JD 413 ARE grade 5 bolts. What matters most is that they fit the hole very nice and tight. They are metric and the SAE ones only a hair smaller that "seem to fit" will shear almost immediately because they are loose in the hole.

YES, I think $550 is a very good price for that hog the OP describes if the gearbox is OK. In that size it probably uses a shear bolt rather than a slip clutch. Slip clutch can be added later if shearing the pins/bolts becomes too much trouble. Always better if it is using a slip clutch to begin with but that is rare in the smaller hogs.