Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them?

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them?
Thanks again guys. Two best courses of action are 1. Hire to have it mulched/ground down; 2. Buying the tree puller and pull out the big stuff, then BH the smaller stuff. Since I have tracks on the skid steer, and it lifts 2,600 lbs or more, the tree puller should pull most except for things too big. I can use it on the stump piles to grab the smaller stuff as well, so leaning that way. With mowing, the roots will spring up again, at least until they die off after repeated mowing. Walked the field today and I figure there’s about 5-6 acres of stuff I can’t handle with my equipment, so will get a price for that. The other stuff should come down, but lots of 8-10’ white pines here and there that may be a problem. I think with the tree puller it is a one and done job per tree and no roots to worry about. Will make a decision once I get a price to clear. Best regards.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #22  
This is the post I started about a similar problem I had. I ended up ordering the Brown Tree Saw.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #23  
The picture of the size trees that you show would be a piece of cake for a skid steer and forestry mower (bush hog) and if it has carbide mulching teeth on the bottom of the blade carrier it would mulch it up fine enough that within a couple of years you wouldn't see any of it, I cut much larger than that in soft wood species of trees, hardwood not quite as big, here is a before and after. Good luck, Charlie.
20220614_101714.jpg
20230623_084316.jpg
20230623_082520.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #24  
What is your plan after you are done removing the brush ? because anything with its roots intact will sprout again the fallowing year. Have you consider a root grappler ? it is more versatile then a tree puller.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #25  
@Dunn - I think you will be surprised at what your skid steer & a tree puller will do...

Although on a much smaller scale I cleared an area on our property last year that had been left for 10+ yrs with our little NH TC40D & our "lower end" tree puller. It was nice to have all the stumps out of the ground & most of the surface roots too. Easy to work around the rock also... Pulled everything from 1/2" & smaller saplings to 3.5"+ trees & stacked them in piles around the perimeter according to size & what we were going to do with them...

2023-03-21 17.14.33.jpg 2023-03-21 17.14.38.jpg 2023-03-22 17.03.02.jpg

Piles being made....

2023-04-02 17.17.28.jpg

Almost finished...

2023-05-14 17.17.13.jpg

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #26  
Buy yourself a cordless pole saw and whittle away at the project. You'll be surprised how much you can get done on a single charge. My Dewalt pole saw was the best Christmas present ever. I have miles of hedgerow to cut back, and certainly need the exercise.

Hi folks,
I’ve decided to go with the tree puller. The Brown tree cutter is great, and if trees were larger would be the ticket. With the 3-5” trees and tree-clusters the puller will handle well I think. I can use it as a sideways grapple too. I have a 4-in-1 bucket on my 545, but doesn’t work good for grabbing trees to pull. Will work ok to move stacked piles. The bush hog will tackle the remaining trees and bushes. I hate to do some of it because they are 3-7’ tall high bush blueberries. I’ve run ads to give them away but no takers. Something else will be going in place. I wouldn’t cut them at all except for the red maples and buckthorn that are interspersed. The maples are getting to where I need to act now or have to hire a mulcher.
I appreciate the responses. Once I pull the birch and other big stuff I hopefully won’t be dealing with stumps and roots to grow back.
Thanks again and best regards. I’ll follow up once I start and hopefully my experience will help others.

Last edited:
   / Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #28  
Hi folks,
I’ve decided to go with the tree puller. The Brown tree cutter is great, and if trees were larger would be the ticket. With the 3-5” trees and tree-clusters the puller will handle well I think. I can use it as a sideways grapple too. I have a 4-in-1 bucket on my 545, but doesn’t work good for grabbing trees to pull. Will work ok to move stacked piles. The bush hog will tackle the remaining trees and bushes. I hate to do some of it because they are 3-7’ tall high bush blueberries. I’ve run ads to give them away but no takers. Something else will be going in place. I wouldn’t cut them at all except for the red maples and buckthorn that are interspersed. The maples are getting to where I need to act now or have to hire a mulcher.
I appreciate the responses. Once I pull the birch and other big stuff I hopefully won’t be dealing with stumps and roots to grow back.
Thanks again and best regards. I’ll follow up once I start and hopefully my experience will help others.
I think that is an excellent decision if the root systems allow you to pull them without too much difficulty. You’ll have some holes to fill in, but might be better than stumps to deal with.

Thanks HD.