Building our retirement home

/ Building our retirement home #311  
Most ridge vent you shingle over with the cap shingles.

/ Building our retirement home #312  
I don't think any houses here in southern Kansas have ridge vents. They all have soffit vents and multiple roof vents near the ridge on the back side of the house (non street side). Some have additional gable vents too. No issues as far as I know.

/ Building our retirement home #313  
Is the cedar fascia installed in this picture? I can see something that could be flashing, or drip edge, at the top of the wood. I guess I mistook the wood for pine and not the finished ceder.

I thought the same thing Eddie. The picture looked like framing lumber and not fascia. I couldn't zoom in well enough to tell.

/ Building our retirement home
I thought the same thing Eddie. The picture looked like framing lumber and not fascia. I couldn't zoom in well enough to tell.

Yes, the cedar is installed in that photo, as well as the drip edge. It may still appear somewhat light because it has not been stained.

I don't think any houses here in southern Kansas have ridge vents. They all have soffit vents and multiple roof vents near the ridge on the back side of the house (non street side). Some have additional gable vents too. No issues as far as I know.

My prior home had a black plastic ridge vent. From any distance, it looked just like that ... a black plastic ridge vent. I HATED it. I'm sure it worked great but I couldn't get around the ugly.

Now, some may not like the approach I've taken on my new home. I prefer it. The vents are not visible from anywhere except the rear.

vents2.jpg vents1.jpg

I do have another question :)

We will be installing a wood ceiling. This will run the entire length of the vaulted roof - covering the front/rear porches and the great room.

We see this is normally done in pine, so that is where we have been leaning. The wife, however, does not like the busy look of a ceiling full of knotholes. So, we checked out "clear" pine as an alternative. The basic stuff,in 1x8, is about 65 cents per linear foot. The clear is about $5.64 per linear foot. We will be installing close to 4300 linear feet of 1x8.

The question - Is there an alternative? Can I find something that looks better than knothole pine but cost less than clear? Has anyone installed a different type of wood they like?

/ Building our retirement home #317  
We did a little cabin with T & G pine. It had tongues and grooves on all 4 edges. I'll see if I can find a picture and see if I can find the price. We purchased it from the mill about 10 miles from our cabin site near Grayling MI.

I don't recall the number of knots. It was wonderful to work with with Grooves on all 4 sides, it lined up beautifully.

/ Building our retirement home #318  
   / Building our retirement home #319  
Attics are not designed to be cool, and in my opinion, trying to cool an attic is a waste of time and energy. Better to supper insulate the rooms below the attic and let it get nice and hot so more air flows through it. The air flow is critical to the life of the roof and the lumber supporting it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I disagree or maybe just don't understand your logic as cooling the attic space is one of the main objectives of spray foaming the roof line. It's also one of the biggest contributing factors to saving you energy and money. How is that a waste of time?

Can you expand on your thoughts?

/ Building our retirement home #320  
I'm not sure heat in an attic is a benefit. It sure cost more to A/C a house when the attic is extremely hot. But I agree air flow is important.