Broken welds

/ Broken welds #11  
Using my Mahindra 1626 shuttle to move a dirt pile I noticed unusual left front tire movement. I was in 4wd and tires were turned slightly to the right. Before I could disengage and get stopped, the axle had broken loose the bracket at the weld and forced the tire towards the rear of the machine which in turn broke the right side loose folding the entire front axel back up under the chassi which crushed and put a hole in the oil pan.
Anyone else ever heard of this or had issue with welds or inferior steel in Mahindra?

I recall a thread on Welding web where there was a leak in a casting on a newish Mahindra. Mahindra fully warranted it and replaced the casting

/ Broken welds #12  
I have seen defective castings but can’t see what failed on the OP’s equipment without a photo or two or half a dozen.

/ Broken welds #13  
A proper weld in the right application won't break. The steel around it should bend or break before the weld does. Be nice to see some pictures, but based on what I've seen on a lot of newer equipment, I'll bet the welds that broke on the OP's machine had almost no penetration.
The above statement is correct. A proper weld is stronger than the parent metal. So if the weld breaks then the weld is at fault. If the weld pulls away from the parent metal and barely pulls away a tiny scab of the parent metal then the weld is at fault because of poor penetration. If the weld remains, even if distorted, and the parent metal tears or fails in some other way then the weld is not at fault.
Eric

/ Broken welds #14  
As far as warranty...

My opinion is that if the item was being used as intended, and failed during normal use, then it is either a manufacturing defect or a design flaw (ignoring items with a million hours and just wore out).

That wouldn't count abuse. Dropping it off of a trailer at highway speeds, running into a brick wall, etc. Still, even so ground is uneven, and there can be potholes.

A weld failure is suspect. Too little penetration, too hot, heat affected zone failure, poor weld, etc.

A frame failure? Too thin of material? Wrong material choice? Did it need a gusset?

Ideally a manufacturer would collect information on failures and update their design. And the only way that will happen is if information goes back to the top.

An older CAT followed me home yesterday. Anything could be worn out on it, but it has a LOT of heavy metal!!!!

As far as the Mahindra, a lot can be fixable, replacing or repairing the pan, rebuilding the frame, hopefully the axle isn't too bad, etc.

/ Broken welds #15  
Here are a couple of videos from Messicks from a while ago.

A lot of food for thought with respect to the new generation of compact tractors.

It is very easy to get a lot of weight on the front axle of small tractors when using the bucket.

Now this guy is a salesman not a farmer. Some of what he says about the fulcrum effect from rear ballast makes sense.

For me, I put weight on the back of the tractor so I can put more weight on the front. :)

UnloadingLift.jpg

/ Broken welds #16  
Been years but I was a welding inspector for at that time a major company in their industry in heavy equipment. Some of the welds were just visually inspected, some were tested with nondestructive testing. I never heard of a weld on any part failing, sure there was some, but we never heard of it and if the company had complaints on that we had paper trail on who inspected it and who did the welding with some parts.

Then our machines if they failed could mean serious damage or death as they lifted heavy loads in all sorts of work.

What am I saying? There really is a variance I think between the workmanship and the design of similar products out there.

You may not get what you paid for, but you will pay for what you get.

/ Broken welds #17  
Using my Mahindra 1626 shuttle to move a dirt pile I noticed unusual left front tire movement. I was in 4wd and tires were turned slightly to the right. Before I could disengage and get stopped, the axle had broken loose the bracket at the weld and forced the tire towards the rear of the machine which in turn broke the right side loose folding the entire front axel back up under the chassi which crushed and put a hole in the oil pan.
Anyone else ever heard of this or had issue with welds or inferior steel in Mahindra?
IF YOU EVER GET TO GO TO INDIA WHERE MAHINDRAS ARE MADE READY FOR ASSEMBLY IN TEXAS, YOU WOULD SEE WHY THE WELDS BREAK APART...

/ Broken welds #19  
Maybe your tractor was made in India, but mine was made in Japan. Believe many also are manufactured in Korea

/ Broken welds #20  
IF YOU EVER GET TO GO TO INDIA WHERE MAHINDRAS ARE MADE READY FOR ASSEMBLY IN TEXAS, YOU WOULD SEE WHY THE WELDS BREAK APART...
Check the caps lock button on your keyboard. Appears to be on.