Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #11  
Hmmm, I'd have to look and see on the Briggs when you get the model. Regular Kohler CH were good to 25 degrees, I think. . . It is possible the Steiner group spec'd out a different pickup or something. Saw this on a larger model: Maximum angle of operation for the engines in the 450 Tractors: – Kubota D902: 20° continuous, 30° intermittent* – Kubota WG972-GL: 20° continuous, 30° intermittent* – Vanguard Model 61: 20° continuous, 30° intermittent* Your 23 would be like a 38" engine.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #12  
Here is the Vanguard 23hp manual

Check out page 10, right side column, half way down talks about 15 degree limit.

It doesn't mention serial numbers - so your mileage may vary :sneaky:

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420
Thank you.
15 degrees? I'm getting the Steiner cause it can go up slopes (up to 58%!!!).

Now my choice is between this 420 w 23 HP Briggs, or a 430 Max with 25 HP Kohler. 430 max- about $1,200 more, is cleaner and has been serviced well by the dealer (new seat, new belts and new park brake).

Check out page 10, right side column, half way down talks about 15 degree limit.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #14  
Thank you.
15 degrees? I'm getting the Steiner cause it can go up slopes (up to 58%!!!).

Now my choice is between this 420 w 23 HP Briggs, or a 430 Max with 25 HP Kohler. 430 max- about $1,200 more, is cleaner and has been serviced well by the dealer (new seat, new belts and new park brake).

Be careful not to mix units. I think you are referring to 58 percent slope which is equal to just a hair over 30 degree slope.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420
Be careful not to mix units. I think you are referring to 58 percent slope which is equal to just a hair over 30 degree slope.

I'm already leaning towards the 430 Max cause it's cleaner anyway. But how much better can the stock Kohler be as far as the angle?

I won't go near 58% or 30 degrees. I'm near my limit w my 15 degrees driveway already. What worries me about inclines, is the switchbacks and saddle paths. It's one thing to go straight up and down and incline, whole different thing is crossing a slope.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #16  
I had a 430MAX with the Liquid Kubota Gas Engine for a little while. I don't like gassers, and still had to fart around with that stupid choke, but man, was that ever a sweet, smooth running engine.

You need to rethink that statement, My 4500P doesn't have a choke and it has higher horse power and more torque than the Kubota diesel and only burns .1 of a gallon more an hour...... jim

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #17  
I'm already leaning towards the 430 Max cause it's cleaner anyway. But how much better can the stock Kohler be as far as the angle?

I won't go near 58% or 30 degrees. I'm near my limit w my 15 degrees driveway already. What worries me about inclines, is the switchbacks and saddle paths. It's one thing to go straight up and down and incline, whole different thing is crossing a slope.

I would make sure on how steep the engine will work at. I had a air cooled stiener and it lost oil pressure were I cut.... jim

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #18  

I think you have a manual for a vertical shaft engine

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #20  
I guess it isn't worth messing with on less you would have flat ground...... jim