Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420
Well I went and saw both. I think I'm getting the 1998 420 with Briggs Vanguard engine. Was $3k less, and running as smooth as the 430.
dealer told me Steiner is using Vanguard in some of their new models.
Jim's equipment in Campbell NY look like real nice people. Know their Steiner's and are honest.
im picking it up next week (with my 06 half ton tundra). will report back if something to report.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #22  
Make sure the ramps are up to the task. Those are heavy little tractors. I just had to find out how much safety margin this manufacturer built into their folding ramps. Apparently Nothing, I found out. Notice, I put no weight on the tailgate.

Good thing lady friend returned them or I really would have given them piece of my mind! lol

Attachments

• DSC03163.JPG
    DSC03163.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Make sure the ramps are up to the task.
Wow. That's terrible. Thanks fir the heads up.
is that one of those 1,500# ramps at Home Depot? You'd think they'd build them w a factor of safety.

by the way, aside from being a bit frightening, did the deck or the hitch get damaged?

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #24  
Make sure the ramps are up to the task. Those are heavy little tractors. I just had to find out how much safety margin this manufacturer built into their folding ramps. Apparently Nothing, I found out. Notice, I put no weight on the tailgate.

Good thing lady friend returned them or I really would have given them piece of my mind! lol

That tractor must not have anything close to the weight my ditch witch does and they’re pretty similar size. I bent the ramps on my lighter trailer with the ditch Witch and since then it only goes on my 14k trailer. It weighs around 5,000. The spec weight on the Steiner is 1100 pounds and the deck is probably an additional 500. I’d personally never attempt a truck bed load onto flat ground with anything.
IMG_9100.JPG

I was hoping I could find the right ramp to go up and down scoop material from the bed of my truck. If that's not feasible, I better get a small tilt trailer.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #26  
Folding ramps store so much nicer. I use arched aluminum ones now, that don't fit very nice in beside the tractor and bed. GMC 2500 bed is so fricken high!

Nothing got damaged. Just my schedule.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #27  
I was hoping I could find the right ramp to go up and down scoop material from the bed of my truck. If that's not feasible, I better get a small tilt trailer.

There’s no way I’d attempt doing that. A tilt trailer would be far safer and hold a lot more material.

Having decided to buy the 420, now I have to drive 3 hours in my 06 Tundra with a rented trailer to get it. I decided against loading it on the bed of the truck. I'd much rather drive with my e250 diesel sedan.

Is it crazy to think of hitching a trailer to a passenger car and tow it back?

Well I went and saw both. I think I'm getting the 1998 420 with Briggs Vanguard engine. Was $3k less, and running as smooth as the 430.
dealer told me Steiner is using Vanguard in some of their new models.
Jim's equipment in Campbell NY look like real nice people. Know their Steiner's and are honest.
im picking it up next week (with my 06 half ton tundra). will report back if something to report.

/ Briggs Vanguard 23 in a Steiner 420 #29  
Not at all. Enjoy the ride!