Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #21  
Several have tried wells with nothing to show.

Water is intertwined with a lot of what happens in California.

At least my $300 monthy irrigation water is seasonal… just looking on the bright side.

Lawns will never come back as the mindset has changed… just like wood heat and now gas powered landscape tools.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #22  
I'd do that while you still can..
I will order one from my local small engine shop/dealer tomorrow. But he did tell me that the Briggs parts are generally available for years after they are discontinued.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #23  
Engines yes, other stuff maybe..

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #24  
I will order one from my local small engine shop/dealer tomorrow. But he did tell me that the Briggs parts are generally available for years after they are discontinued.
Times are not what they used to be.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #25  
Times are not what they used to be.
No they’re not. Still that shop owner told me that during the covid supply shutdowns, he was generally able to get Briggs parts when he couldn’t get Kohler or Kawasaki. Of course that doesn’t mean the same things would be the case in the future.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #26  
Generally is the key with most manufacturers. Except for Husqvarna really in my world. Not in a good way either. Though Briggs has done well considering their turmoil. But parts that they shouldn't ever be out of are still a problem and have been year after year. Odds and ends get you too, but you pretty much expect those. Sources outside normal distribution have saved the day much of the time. Earlier this year their weren't service engines for anything that I sought at the distributor level, now they are back in stock. People move on and they won't get that back.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #27  
Repairs vs replacement is nothing new. My dad complained about that in the 1970s when it had become more cost effective to replace electric motors under 5hp with new vs repairing the old ones. It had progressed from the small fractional hp up to multi hp motors. Killed the large repair company he worked for. In the late 1940s when he was hired, there were between 40 and 50 folks working, mainly repair. By mid 70s, repair had dwindled to only a few guys. And the sales couldn't keep up with the Amazon like grainger.

Oh, and as far as Kali and watering lawns, they SHOULD ban lawn watering where there is no rain. Same as Las vegas. Make gravel yards. And drink the water.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #28  
Repairs vs replacement is nothing new. My dad complained about that in the 1970s when it had become more cost effective to replace electric motors under 5hp with new vs repairing the old ones. It had progressed from the small fractional hp up to multi hp motors. Killed the large repair company he worked for. In the late 1940s when he was hired, there were between 40 and 50 folks working, mainly repair. By mid 70s, repair had dwindled to only a few guys. And the sales couldn't keep up with the Amazon like grainger.

Oh, and as far as Kali and watering lawns, they SHOULD ban lawn watering where there is no rain. Same as Las vegas. Make gravel yards. And drink the water.
Already in the works just like other bans already enacted.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #29  
Gravel yards wouldn't seem that great for children to play in.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #30  
I am in need of a new push mower and I have really been torn over gas vs battery. I have a X360 lawn tractor so that covers the bulk of the cut. It's the trim work and a steep hill I have in the front yard that requires the push. The hill is a 3' high bank down to a sidewalk that you see in older neighborhoods.
Anyway, I finally settled on looking for a battery powered mower that might work in a pinch if the X360 breaks down - even if I needed an additional battery to do the whole yard. I have EGO stuff, cordless trimmer and a backpack blower that I have had for a number of years. An EGO mower would make sense in this case. But buying made in China irks me. So now I am thinking more along the lines of a made in USA unit that could do the whole yard in a pinch. That leaves higher end models for longevity and whole yard in a pinch, or lower end models and throw away once the included battery(s) die. A lower end model would be more of a break-even deal, as long as, the mower doesn't fail before the battery. Lower end works, as pointed out, because a new battery will almost be the price of a new mower kit. And since battery technology is still a work in progress, why buy upper end mowers when they will become obsolete in 3-5 years? Even battery voltage changes occur, as was pointed out by another post. Sad to say mowers have gone the way of the computer industry. I may take my chances on the X360 and go mid-to-low end. I just need to find the best option for my needs. Sad it has all come to this.