Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #11  
Looking back, I wonder how many of us now wish we'd bought that nice pre-emissions tractor back in 2012 or whenever it was they were still being made?

I suspect the retail stores love the prospect of all battery tools because they expect to sell boatloads of expensive replacement batteries.

It's all about the green, but in this case, green means dollars.

Last edited:
   / Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #12  
Well I plan to have my 72” gas guzzler for many years to come. At 50 hours per year, I figure 20 more. Even then, engine swaps are easy and cheap.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market
Randy
I hope the market for gas mower repair doesn’t dry up by 2025 but certainly is a changing world. Is part of the problem the throw away mentality and cost vs replacement? Unfortunately urban areas will dictate the rural future for small engines going electric vs gas or diesel.
Part of the issue is the throw away mentality. Part is the cost of repair vs replacement. Shops such as myself can't work on $169 push mowers or trimmers. A lot of the OPE sold at places like Menard's, Lowes, Home Depot are produced by companies with no service network and have no plans of a service network. Warranty amounts to the customer contacting the manufacturer and describing the issue and the company sending the repair parts to the customer to install themselves or pay a shop to install the parts for them. Sometimes the company will just refund the customers money and tell them to go buy another. Parts after warranty don't exist so it breaks just replace it.

The dynamics of the equipment I work on has changed over the last 25 years Mostly use to do the box store equipment but that has been slowing getting replaced with larger more commercial grade equipment. So the Huskee, Murray, Yard Machine, Poulan pro is now Scag, Ferris, Gravely, Toro. Years ago a lot of the repair work I did would amount to a lot of equipment with $75-150 repairs and now work on fewer pieces but the repairs average closer to $400.

Looking back, I wonder how many of us now wish we'd bought that nice pre-emissions tractor back in 2012 or whenever it was they were still being made?

I suspect the retail stores love the prospect of all battery tools because they expect to sell boatloads of expensive replacement batteries.

It's all about the green, but in this case, green means dollars.
And battery mowers will have issues with replacement batteries in the near future. If you purchase a battery mower today, will you be able to get a replacement battery for it is 3-4 years, and will it be cost effective to purchase a new battery vs replacing the mower.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #14  
I am already seeing that. My echo 58v tools are awesome, but someone at echo decided to switch to a 56v battery with a different form factor for the new models.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #15  
Funny how they sell a cordless drill, 2 batteries and a charger for $99 and then later two replacement batteries are $129 or more.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #16  
And battery mowers will have issues with replacement batteries in the near future. If you purchase a battery mower today, will you be able to get a replacement battery for it is 3-4 years, and will it be cost effective to purchase a new battery vs replacing the mower.
It is already happening. I wanted another 40V battery for my Oregon trimmers and blowers. A battery was $169 or I could get the battery, charger, and 16" mower for $199. So I now have a little mower to do close up work where I can't get close enough with one of the big Kubota mowers.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #17  
Plus restrictions on the sale and/or use of gas powered equipment has pushed a lot to the curb… I picked up 2 Honda powered mowers and 3 Echo trimmers free

Another blow is war on lawns with a bounty paid for every square foot eliminated…

The days of every home having a lawn let alone a nice lawn are long over… only two left in Moms street… that’s it… water restrictions and cost killed it.

I pay $10 a day in summer for just the water through the meter to keep the landscape including back lawn going… 20 minutes twice a week per station x 3 zones.

The county was giving away battery mowers for gas…

The battery mowers are showing up on the curb because either not suitable or replacement battery not worth it.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market
I am already seeing that. My echo 58v tools are awesome, but someone at echo decided to switch to a 56v battery with a different form factor for the new models.
Did a warranty claim on a Poulan Pro battery blower a couple of years ago where Husqvarna had to issue a refund of the purchase price because the battery that failed 3 months into a 3 years warranty was NLA.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #20  
Plus restrictions on the sale and/or use of gas powered equipment has pushed a lot to the curb… I picked up 2 Honda powered mowers and 3 Echo trimmers free

Another blow is war on lawns with a bounty paid for every square foot eliminated…

The days of every home having a lawn let alone a nice lawn are long over… only two left in Moms street… that’s it… water restrictions and cost killed it.

I pay $10 a day in summer for just the water through the meter to keep the landscape including back lawn going… 20 minutes twice a week per station x 3 zones.

The county was giving away battery mowers for gas…

The battery mowers are showing up on the curb because either not suitable or replacement battery not worth it.
Don't tell Gale Hawkins that...lol He worships anything with Li-Ion batteries.

Glad I don't have a water meter. My water comes out of the ground... 175 feet down.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Tophat Dump Trailer (A33041)
Tophat Dump...
"Caterpillar VCLOD Forklift, 6,000# Triple Stage Mast w/Side Shift, Gas Eng (A33349)
"Caterpillar VCLOD...
fork extension skid steer attachment (A32932)
fork extension...
Diamond H Box Blade (A33041)
Diamond H Box...
Agrotk QK18K-C Mini Excavator (A33526)
Agrotk QK18K-C...
PHELAN TRI-AXLE LOWBOY (A32908)
PHELAN TRI-AXLE...