Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #1  

RandyT

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK45S
   / Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #2  
Well that is surprising, wonder if can’t compete with “box” store units.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market
Well that is surprising, wonder if can’t compete with “box” store units.
maybe part of the issue with the cheap chinese mowers being sold at the box stores. Snapper has been made on and off by MTD, Husqvarna, and other companies over the last few years and sold through Walmart, along with Murray.. The other thing is the battery mower market on the homeowner side of things is making a dent in sales also. And the fact that people that are not buying into the battery market are purchasing semi to commercial mowers. So Scag, Toro, JD, Country clipper commercial mowers are having sales increase, whereas the consumer market is tanking.

I am hoping I can stay in the mower repair business another 7 years to reach retirement but that is starting to look doubtful. My nephew figures by 2025 things will be changed enough to close most mower repair shops if they don't adapt to either the battery market, or move into higher priced model mowers. Snapper, Simplicity, Honda have stopped production. Husqvarna left the box store consumer market around 2019-20. Toro has taken a large lose in revenue with the down turn of the consumer market and their purchase of the eliminator group, ie, Spartan mowers. Briggs has stopped support of their pressure washer and portable generators that were licensed under a different name. Like A Briggs pressure washer under the Craftsman name that Briggs is not supporting parts and service for their engine.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #4  
All about profit margins more than anything else. Get rid of the low end stuff and concentrate on the high end stuff and hope the consumers can actually afford them and today, that is doubtful.

Far as battery powered mowers, not here. I do battery powered hand tools but that is it.

I do all my own repairs and that includes rebuilding engines.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #5  
I bought a used self propelled Snapper commercial mower from a retired landscaper last year. It has a Honda commercial motor. Best walk behind mower I’ve ever owned. The bagger is getting a bit worn, but otherwise it runs like a champ. I hope that parts remain available, and I better buy that new bagger while I can.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #7  
Randy
I hope the market for gas mower repair doesn’t dry up by 2025 but certainly is a changing world. Is part of the problem the throw away mentality and cost vs replacement? Unfortunately urban areas will dictate the rural future for small engines going electric vs gas or diesel.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #8  
Home Depot announced a goal of selling 85% battery powered mowers by 2028. The Home Depot Sets Goal for Battery Powered Products to Drive over 85% of Outdoor Lawn Equipment Sales by 2028 | The Home Depot

Been thinking I should buy a gas ZTR to set aside for the future even though my present one is running without issues.
I think the high end commercial machines will continue to be available with gas motors, but not the homeowner grade models. Commercial landscapers often mow big acreage.

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #9  
Does this mean that old LawmBoy commercial mower with the two stroke engine and rotted out magnisium deck that's under the shop just got VALUABLE? ;-)

/ Briggs and Stratton discontinuing Snapper and Simplicity for North American market #10  
For small city lots, the electric stuff is fine. I've got a Honda gas mower that will probably sit until or unless one if my kids wants it. The only mowing we plan to do on the farm is with the tractor.

If you have enough lawn to need a gas mower, you may as well get one of those zero turn and/or stand on bigger ones. Between technology improvements and government mandates, the small gas engine is going the way of the telephone booth.