Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
Anyone wire one of these up in their Dakota?

Here is the scoop.

Truck does NOT have factory tow package. But under dash by steering column there is a 4 pin connector labelled "ELECTRIC BRAKE".

That connector has PWR / GRND / STOP LAMP / BRAKE OUTPUT(Blue).

I wired up the brake controller as per instructions. The only thing is that I can not find a BRAKE OUTPUT (blue) wire at the rear of the truck. The blue wire at the connector goes somewhere mysterious.

Any ideas?

Failing to find the wire I am going to cut it out on the controller side and wire in a new length to the rear 7-pin plug.

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #2  
If it does not have the factory tow package my guess is the wire is terminated under the truck or hood. You can do as you say and run a new wire or start tracing it for a more professional job.

This guys site may help.

R and P Carriages, Towing and trailer help questions

Chris

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #3  
I would call a Dodge dealer. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #4  
My old 2000 V8 Dakota (great truck) had the factory tow package but only a 4-pin connector at the rear. I hooked up a brake controller for a small camper and it took a while to find the brake wire. It was under the truck and ran along the frame rail on the driver side along with the rest of the trailer wires. It ended right around the drivers side door and was taped up with the rest of the wire loom. I ran a 12 gauge wire from there to the rear and hooked them all up at the 7-pin connector. I also had to run a 12 gauge wire for the 12V charging circuit to keep the camper battery charged.

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #5  
When the dealership was installing a new brake controller that i got in a after market package for spay in bed liner, 7-pin connector in the bed and gooseneck hitch installed. They had a very hard time making it work, I had to take it back 3 times to get it to work right, They was blaming the controller, so I called the maker of the controller and explain what was going on, he said right off the blue wire is not conected under the dash, he sad they get alot of calls like this. so I followed the blue wire from the plug to the end where it "was not connected" while I was on the phone with him. Took it back to the dealership and showed them that the blue wire was not connected, I think they felt like a bunch of idiots, but they fixed it and gave me another free oil change and car wash coupon.

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #6  
I am assuming you know this but if not when you run the 12V pos wire from the battery to the 7 pin plug at the rear make sure you use either a 30 amp circuit breaker, about $5, or a 30 amp maxi-fuse, about $8 with the holder.

I am sure Dmace did this but just to let others know this is a quick way to start a electrical fire. Seen it happen. Put the fuse or CB as close to the battery as possible.

Chris

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota
Ok, here is what I did. I did not want to try and find the blue trailer brake wire anymore. I looked all over under the truck and got enough sand and dirt in my face already. I just ran another 12ga wire from the controller to the 7-pin plug in back. The blue wire in the factory connector is now just terminated.

I already have a 12v power line to the plug to keep the battery charged. It is fused right at the battery. My trailer brake plug is already fused at the PDC.

I have had a 7-pin back there since the truck was new (aftermarket hitch/plug). I usually tow a small pop-up trailer which doesn't have brakes. I now have upgraded to a travel trailer that requires the brake controller.

All is installed now. I've tested as far as I can without a trailer.

Thanks for the input.

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #8  
you did what i was gonna reccomend. just runt he brake wire seperate.

should work out good for ya.

post back.

soundguy

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota #9  
I am assuming you know this but if not when you run the 12V pos wire from the battery to the 7 pin plug at the rear make sure you use either a 30 amp circuit breaker, about $5, or a 30 amp maxi-fuse, about $8 with the holder.

I am sure Dmace did this but just to let others know this is a quick way to start a electrical fire. Seen it happen. Put the fuse or CB as close to the battery as possible.

Chris
Actually, the 12V charging wire is already fused in the main box under the hood with a 30 amp (mine was labeled "trailer"). The trucks that have the tow package already have the fuse in them and the trucks without just have the wire terminated under the driver's door with no fuse in place. Definitely good advice to check for it though! :thumbsup:

/ Brake Controller - Dodge Dakota
More dirt in the face but the blue trailer brake output wire was run separately. Tested and functioning. Power, ground and brake signal wires taken from the under dash connector.