Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ?

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #71  
Mine seems to have fender liners made of some sort of fabric not plastic or steel, I have also heard that the fabric stuff doesn’t last very well and really have no idea if that’s actually true or not.
Actually, it does. My 14 Ford Focus has the textured fender liners that you refer to and they hold up just fine. Live on a dirt road and the buggy gets pressure washed underneath and the fender wells regularly and they have held up just fine. In fact, no degradation has occurred at all. Of course I added plastic mud flaps as well. Keeps the rockers from getting sandblasted by stones.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #72  
I am not able to give you an answer based on experience, just have some thoughts that were bounced around to me when I bought a new Ford in 2018. These trucks have some type of rust protection that comes from the factory. Undercoating is just another money maker. Most of us spend hundred or thousand more for add-ons.
I do know that my step bars are rusting. That is an issue I see bouncing around on the internet. I didn't buy the undercoating and I am not sure if undercoating is that effective. Nearly all cars made in the 1970's rusted out. Then manufactures did something and rusting went away. Now we are seeing body panel rust again.
You may want to crawl under the step bars and paint undercoating there.
First thing I do is remove and sell the step bars or running boards from any vehicle I buy unless it so high that they are required for ingress and egress. All they are, are crud catchers and rust magnets that trap crud and cause corrosion and in most cases are totally unnecessary.

Guess looking 'macho' is more important than a rusted out body. In my view, totally unnecessary.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #73  
as a retired mechanic..... absolutely no. what a mess to work on.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #74  
as a retired mechanic..... absolutely no. what a mess to work on.

A very valid negative to rust proofing.

Pro and con. Take your pick. Me, I rust proof.

Funny, related story. My truck was on a lift with multiple mechanics looking all under the vehicle. I asked why and was told there was a serious oil leak and they can't find the source! (Yep, the truck was rustproofed very shortly before!) :)

Last edited:
   / Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #75  
All trucks are junk anymore...can't stop the rust..recycled steel.?
Recycled or virgin steel, it all rusts the same. Rust prevention treatments, powder coating, galvanizing, primers and paint are what helps keep rust at bay.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #76  
2022 Ford F-150 extended cab. Would love to hear some of your opinions-experience about undercoating. Living in Wisconsin rust is a really big issue.
I’m definitely not a high miles driver and at 68 years old this could be my last new truck.
When I lived in Wisconsin years ago the DOT poured TONS of salt on the winter roads. So yes If they still do get the undercoating. I worked in a service station and we did hundreds of undercoatings, but also saw a lot of NEW rust buckets for the ones who didn't. Now please understand this was back in the 60's and early 70's before I moved to Idaho.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ?
i asked about mudflaps a week after buying the truck and they threw in a complete set of Ford flaps for free, the flaps use the existing holes so no new holes required, they plan to install them for free this week before I pick up the truck. The dealer Medford Motors has been very easy to deal with .

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #78  
i asked about mudflaps a week after buying the truck and they threw in a complete set of Ford flaps for free, the flaps use the existing holes so no new holes required, they plan to install them for free this week before I pick up the truck. The dealer Medford Motors has been very easy to deal with .

Take a good look at the rear wheel wells on the truck you're buying. I'm not sure what the "fabric" liner is that you're referring to, but according to Ford, REAR wheel well liners are still an aftermarket or dealer-installed option. I bought a pair from Husky, but WeatherTech and others also make them. See pics below of stock F-150 before and after installation of plastic wheel-well liners. (Installing them in warm weather or warming them before pushing them up into the wheel well makes getting them positioned properly much easier.)

Good call by others and you on the mudflaps. Another good obvious protection. I added them at the same time but not shown in the pics.

wheel liner 2020 2.jpg
wheel liner 2020.jpg

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #79  
My wife’s 300c has fabric in the wheel wells. Not all of it but I always figured it was for sound deadening.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #80  
My wife’s 300c has fabric in the wheel wells. Not all of it but I always figured it was for sound deadening.

That makes sense. But it also looks like it would catch a lot of mud and debris.

I'd be interested in knowing what the dealer recommends / suggests for a new truck.

Also wonder if they install the after-market plastic wheel-well liners over the carpet / fabric or if it has to be removed. Looks like installing plastic to protect it and still have the sound-deadening quality would be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the info.