Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #11  
If it didn’t come out if a tube, then maybe it was some kind of thick flexible rod that was bent around the shaft and then heated with a torch. I just don’t see any sign of the puddling and flow that a welder would produce.

Very strange.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke.
I can get a better picture. It is likely a machine weld or not welded by a human!

Saw a couple videos also about changing the grease seal there and those tillers were welded also so seems to be how KK does it.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #13  
Can you pull the stub shaft out of the tiller tube? Grinding down much of the old weld before welding would allow a nice small and strong bead. I'm thinking that the stub shaft may be a dissimilar metal which may have been some of the issue. Or, maybe the stub was ice cold and that could also be part of it. I would use a rod that is for dissimilar metals.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #14  
That's not a weld - it's a Decorative Edge Bead!

I'm with others - No sign of any heat in the shaft. Something ain't right. Unless the place it was welded on is now hidden inside the yellow part so we can't see it??

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #15  
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first person to break a KK tiller. I do custom tilling and I had a guy call me and hire me to come till his field. He added that it was full of stones and I said no problem.

When I got there, he had two king kutters behind his barn, both with the side gears blown and he said his rocks did it, and YES he had rocks.

Anyway, I got it done for him and he was a happy camper!

SR

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke.
Don't feel bad, you aren't the first person to break a KK tiller. I do custom tilling and I had a guy call me and hire me to come till his field. He added that it was full of stones and I said no problem.

When I got there, he had two king kutters behind his barn, both with the side gears blown and he said his rocks did it, and YES he had rocks.

Anyway, I got it done for him and he was a happy camper!

SR
Yea, KK got back to me and said they see this and it is usually related to an improperly adjusted slip clutch.
Can't deny that logic but I think this would have broke over time anyway.

What tiller to you like for a 5 footer?

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #17  
Yea, KK got back to me and said they see this and it is usually related to an improperly adjusted slip clutch.
Can't deny that logic but I think this would have broke over time anyway.

What tiller to you like for a 5 footer?
Howard or Kuhn, get one rated for a little higher than the pto hp of your tractor and have it for life.

One of my Howards has over 2,000 acres on it, and it still has all the original bearings, sprockets, gears and even the side drive chain.

SR

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #18  
Looks more like a bead of something squeezed out of a tube. JB Weld maybe? I don't really see how a welder could produce that.
A friend had a little 110 volt flux-core mig machine that would produce nice looking welds, but had virutally no penetration. That would be my guess on that weld.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #19  
A friend had a little 110 volt flux-core mig machine that would produce nice looking welds, but had virutally no penetration. That would be my guess on that weld.

OK. But that's not a "nice looking weld." Doesn't even show signs of the material being melted.

/ Bought A Used King Kutter 60" Tiller And It Broke. #20  
Year ago we would say that came out of a can labeled CS or Chicken Sh--.