Bought a new Farmi winch

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #12  
Re: Bought a 渡ew Farmi winch

Yes indeed very nice rehab of that old winch. Have fun and work safe. You will learn to love it.

gg

/ Bought a new Farmi winch

F65D4BE5-74EB-4AFC-A76E-C1F897C194EE.jpegD09DBB8C-CEE9-49D9-A5B4-2F898C8811C1.jpegThanks. A fun project. New bearings for the cable sheave, and the PTO input shaft. And a new bushing for the main sprocket. The bushings on the winch drum itself were fine. The chain tensioner was gone so a new one of those too. The drive sprocket was worn some so I machined it off of the shaft and bored a blank plate sprocket to fit and TIG welded it on. Replaced the chain and that was about it. Built that bracket to deal with a place to hang my chokers and mount those little pulleys for the clutch and ratchet ropes. And a new cable. Anxious to skid some logs with it. Going to wait for freeze up so I知 not working in mud. Even with the parts and the purchase price of the winch itself I知 still in it for less than a grand so a significant savings compared to new.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #14  

Nice job of bringing it back to life. I have to ask. With all the work that you put into this project, how did the brake lever escape the paint booth??;) I think I would swap one of the ropes so you have a different color for the brake versus the clutch. I have a new Farmi winch and wish I would have bought one years ago.

Doug in SW IA

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #15  
You will like it .I have a tajfun 10000 lb winch with 300 ft of cable on it .I would post a pic of it but I can't figure out how to do that. RICK

Nice job of bringing it back to life. I have to ask. With all the work that you put into this project, how did the brake lever escape the paint booth??;) I think I would swap one of the ropes so you have a different color for the brake versus the clutch. I have a new Farmi winch and wish I would have bought one years ago.
Doug in SW IA

I left the brake lever unpainted so that someone would ask me why I left it unpainted:D No actually I plan to paint that and a couple other things that I did not want to do until I was sure that everything worked properly and I would not have to take anything major back apart. Now that I have done a shakedown run and all systems are go, I'll remove that lever and paint it this weekend. Definitely going to be a handy thing to have around the place. I also want to build a kick stand for it so that I can park it upright when I take it off of the tractor. So I'll have a look at that this weekend. I like the utter simplicity of the design, and the fact that any parts you may need are still available through Farmi or an industrial supply house for bearings, chain, etc.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #17  
I picked up a old well used Farmi winch a couple weeks ago. I stripped it all down and have replaced all of the bearings and bushings. Got the bushings from Northeast Implements and the bearings through my local bearing supply house. Other than those things and cleaning up and addressing a few small things itç—´ in good mechanical shape for its age. Hopefully you guys can tell me if I got a good deal on it. I paid $400 for the winch and will have about $250 in parts. I think when itç—´ done it should last another 40 years. They are very simple and parts support is excellent so I would say if youæ±*e in the market for one don稚 be afraid to get an old one and put a little money and time into it to bring it back to top condition. View attachment 623925View attachment 623926View attachment 623927
Hi Andy do you have part numbers for the bearings and name of the place you got them and do you know the size of the bearing in the top sprocket?I would appreciate any help o just picked up one just like this thanks gene

Hi Andy do you have part numbers for the bearings and name of the place you got them and do you know the size of the bearing in the top sprocket?I would appreciate any help o just picked up one just like this thanks gene
Gene, I don’t have the part numbers anymore. But what I can tell you is that the bearings for for the bottom drive sprocket (the one you connect to your PTO) are standard bearings. I got those from my local bearing supply house. Just take down the numbers on them and you can get them off the shelf. As far as the bearings for the top large sprocket they are a special split bushing and I got them from Farmi from this place Home
I called them and he had those special bushings in stock and a few other odds and ends that I needed that are exclusive to Farmi. I hope that helps. The chain and other stuff is all standard and I got it from Supply House. Let me know if you have any questions. You’ll really like your winch when you get it back in service. Send some pictures!!!

Andy

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #19  
Gene, Like I said in your other thread, you need to call one of the dealers and talk to them.

Bearings are standard and can be found locally in most places. These will most likely be metric. The bearing number is engraved into the bearing, so that makes it pretty easy to find replacements. But first you are going to need to determine if any bearings really need replacement, so you need to tear it apart. Then with bearings in hand you can start looking/calling/searching online. For the Farmi parts, call the dealers you can find with a simple Google search. They will also have parts diagrams if you don't find them from the mighty Google.

Nobody is going to do this for you. You need to do the legwork yourself as nobody has eyes on your winch except you, so no way to know what it needs. Now if you have issues/questions while working on it or how to do something, come on back and ask about that and plenty of people will offer help.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #20  
Did you have to repair or replace the leather clutch face? That is the only thing wrong with mine, it slips. And I can't figure out how to fix it.

Bill