Bought a new Farmi winch

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #1  

Andy1969

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5155, 53 Farmall Cub. Yanmar 2210DB
I picked up a old well used Farmi winch a couple weeks ago. I stripped it all down and have replaced all of the bearings and bushings. Got the bushings from Northeast Implements and the bearings through my local bearing supply house. Other than those things and cleaning up and addressing a few small things itç—´ in good mechanical shape for its age. Hopefully you guys can tell me if I got a good deal on it. I paid $400 for the winch and will have about $250 in parts. I think when itç—´ done it should last another 40 years. They are very simple and parts support is excellent so I would say if youæ±*e in the market for one don稚 be afraid to get an old one and put a little money and time into it to bring it back to top condition. 13CA305C-EBF4-45D5-BD59-ACBAE7E91D24.jpeg4AD27946-268D-4707-A0B4-C8DEA9324E27.jpegFAE9BD15-61B3-43A2-B6CA-7B3C63EDD8B6.jpeg

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #2  
Re: Bought a 渡ew Farmi winch

You got your self a good 6600 lb winch for $650. In my mind that is a very good deal. That is the same size as my JL 290 and you will find it will do plenty of pulling. Congrats !!!

gg

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #3  

Thats a nice old Farmi of a early design, it will serv you well, if this is your first logging winch you will enter a new world.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch

Thats a nice old Farmi of a early design, it will serv you well, if this is your first logging winch you will enter a new world.

Thanks it is my first winch. Yes it’s an oldie for sure, but I’m looking forward to having it done. I have hilly property and there are many areas I can’t safely get a tractor in. But having this will let me keep the tractor on safe ground and bring the wood out to me. I’m glad I found it because new ones are pretty pricey and used ones rarely come up around here. It’s also nice that Farmi still supports their older machines with good parts availability.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #5  

I have the exact same winch, but my price beat yours - free! :D But I still think you got a great deal. They are very handy! I got it from a friend that bought it back in the 70's for his firewood business when he was in high school and college. Someone had damaged it so the frame was bent. It was beyond my capabilities at the time to fix, but I found a local shop that cut off the bent piece and glued back on a new piece they made for not much cash. Then i put new bearings in and just cleaned it up - much like you did. I think I did have to replace a few other wear items too, and yes they still stock parts!

You can see the problem (bent) looking at the lower small gear.

Winch_disassemble (14) (Medium).JPG

This was how they fixed it

Winch_fixed (2) (Large).JPG

And finally the storage dolly I made for it.

Winich Dollie.jpg

View attachment 624684View attachment 624685View attachment 624686
I have the exact same winch, but my price beat yours - free! :D But I still think you got a great deal. They are very handy! I got it from a friend that bought it back in the 70's for his firewood business when he was in high school and college. Someone had damaged it so the frame was bent. It was beyond my capabilities at the time to fix, but I found a local shop that cut off the bent piece and glued back on a new piece they made for not much cash. Then i put new bearings in and just cleaned it up - much like you did. I think I did have to replace a few other wear items too, and yes they still stock parts!
You can see the problem (bent) looking at the lower small gear. This was how they fixed it

Cool! I am in the put it back together mode now. Nothing bent on mine but the small sprocket had some pretty good wear. So I cut the weld and removed it from the shaft. Bought a new 16 tooth sprocket and bored it out to be a press fit on the shaft and then TIG welded it on the shaft. Put it all back in with new FAG bearings. Painting it to match my Mahindra. I will share more pics when it is done.
View attachment 624126

View attachment 624127

And finally the storage dolly I made for it.

View attachment 624128

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #7  

When you venture out to see what it will do for you, grab yourself a snatch block or two, and a couple straps to hang on the back someplace. You will quickly see how much easier your work will become.

D02B41B6-67FD-4438-954F-0047CE10F155.jpeg69E8DCD7-CC37-4EA6-AB5C-9D36F53EB182.jpeg2CDC1399-E90E-45BB-B86E-9A63929C3195.jpegWell I finally got it done. Here痴 a few pics. Did a little light skidding with it to coil up the new cable. Seems to work Great.

/ Bought a new Farmi winch #9  

I'd be REALLY careful with it !! Lots of spinning unbarred stuff . Good luck and happy pulling