Boots

/ Boots #51  
I've got a fairly high arch and my job involves walking outside and inside on concrete a lot. My best combo so far are Dickies Shin Protector boot socks and UnderArmor Micro G Valsetz Mid leather waterproof boots.

We get free boots (up to a certain price limit) every 9 months at work and every boot I ever tried made my feet ache, so I ended up buying my own shoes for about 10 years. I tried the Valsetz and was amazed at how light and comfortable they are, and waterproof.

/ Boots #52  
My younger brother has messed up feet. he was surveying in the mountains along the Utah Wyoming border, and got a secondary hit from some lightning that hit down the ridge from him, and it blew his big toe nails off. Said the first mile back towards the Jeep wasn’t too bad. Then the shock wore off.

He was buying expensive inserts. I reminded him that his health insurance covered podiatry. So, he went to visit the podiatrist. Fancy inserts that were hand fitted, for his $25 deductible. His insurance would cover up to six pair per year.
I have to wear orthotics due to foot issues. Those custom orthotics that are hard work really well and last 5-10 years. With insurance $100, without insurance over $500. But I can walk pain free with them, so they are worth the cost. Those soft insoles they sell at drug stores don’t correct the foot or relieve pain.

/ Boots
I have to wear orthotics due to foot issues. Those custom orthotics that are hard work really well and last 5-10 years. With insurance $100, without insurance over $500. But I can walk pain free with them, so they are worth the cost. Those soft insoles they sell at drug stores don’t correct the foot or relieve pain.
I wear those as well

/ Boots #54  
Bought two new pairs of Redwings. This week. Both made in America with their puncture resistant american leather.

Perusing the web site, I discovered that most of the Made in America, with American materials boots come in sizes 4 through 18, and widths of A through EEE. Their other boots, most of which are made in America with foreign materials or components, only come in D and EE.
Since I work as a forester and live in field boots, I have been buying Whites handmade boots. They are absolutely top of the line and fit like a glove. The thickest leather I’ve ever seen in a boot and custom fit. You trace your foot and take measurements before ordering and they fit perfectly. They cost $500, but I get about 5-7 years out of them before resoling and then another 5-7 years after that. They also are made with an arch that approximates custom orthotics. They are completely handmade in Spokane Washington and are well known to the forestry, fire fighting, and logging industries.

/ Boots #55  
They are both great general purpose boots, but the TruHikers cannot be resoled and tend to self destruct after 2 years of continuous wear.
I don't fret about resoleing. For one thing, by the time the soles are shot, the uppers aren't far behind and a quick Google search showed the nearest shoe repair shop to be an hour and a half + drive away. Not many of 'em around anymore.
The first time I realized how much difference there can be in socks, was when I bought some Lorpen brand socks from a hunting gear website. The socks were incredible with varying thicknesses throughout the sock to provide cushioning where needed. I've bought Lorpen socks a number of times since and have always been impressed.
Never heard of that brand, but absolutely socks make all the difference in the world. Never fails though, when I find some that stand out I either can't remember where I got them or they don't make that style anymore.

/ Boots #56  
I don't fret about resoleing. For one thing, by the time the soles are shot, the uppers aren't far behind and a quick Google search showed the nearest shoe repair shop to be an hour and a half + drive away. Not many of 'em around anymore.

Never heard of that brand, but absolutely socks make all the difference in the world. Never fails though, when I find some that stand out I either can't remember where I got them or they don't make that style anymore.

In my younger years resoling the Pecos boots was a plus. I doubt my current pair will need it in my lifetime.
Socks... Yes they matter! I like wool blend (thick) socks that I get at Costco in the fall or winter.

/ Boots
Since I work as a forester and live in field boots, I have been buying Whites handmade boots. They are absolutely top of the line and fit like a glove. The thickest leather I’ve ever seen in a boot and custom fit. You trace your foot and take measurements before ordering and they fit perfectly. They cost $500, but I get about 5-7 years out of them before resoling and then another 5-7 years after that. They also are made with an arch that approximates custom orthotics. They are completely handmade in Spokane Washington and are well known to the forestry, fire fighting, and logging industries.
I wear Nicks they are similar to Whites. Use this pair every day and got 8 years out of them before resole. They are high arch fitted boots. Had gypsum molds made for custom inserts that prevent the rocking of the foot as I walk. That has helped on the foot pain. The heavy leather and high shaft helps big time with support

/ Boots
I wear Darn Tough socks

/ Boots #59  
I wear Nicks they are similar to Whites. Use this pair every day and got 8 years out of them before resole. They are high arch fitted boots. Had gypsum molds made for custom inserts that prevent the rocking of the foot as I walk. That has helped on the foot pain. The heavy leather and high shaft helps big time with support
Nicks are good boots. The story is that a couple of guys who worked at Whites founded Nicks.

Last edited: