Boots

/ Boots #41  
I am fan of Timberlands mostly and also bought couple of great boots from Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th from other brands. I guess everyone knows about this store, and for those who don't , this site has their detailed reviews. They sell decent designer clothing and shoes for discounted prices.

Last edited:
   / Boots #42  
I thought I was into expensive boots!
Since I wear mine pretty much 100% of the time, I prefer a lighter and somewhat stylish boot. My current boots of many years are Redwing Pecos and steel toe Redwing TruHikers. They are both great general purpose boots, but the TruHikers cannot be resoled and tend to self destruct after 2 years of continuous wear.

When I was employed I wore Haix fire station boots, which are the ultimate in lightweight comfort. They have a similar boot I want to try called the Haix Scout 2. The uppers are not as durable as the Pecos boots, or the type of boots most are discussing here.

/ Boots #43  
I like lowas. Outside of work, they have been my daily wearers for about 15 years. A little overkill for MI but hey....

My daughter has jacked up feet. Planters and 1 other bone issue due to playing hockey. She needs to wear hoka shoes (or similar) plus inserts. A store in Muskegon, MI custom make her a set of inserts for the same price as generic inserts. Night and day.

Luckily her skates are "baked" on

/ Boots #44  
I am fan of Timberlands
Past three years that's all I've gotten were timberlands.

I've been a long time sufferer of tendinitis in my feet.

They are the only boots I've purchased where I haven't had add expensive inserts to be able to wear them.

/ Boots #45  
My Double H boots fit like gloves… But each foot is different. My Justins are OK…

Last edited:
   / Boots #46  
I like lowas. Outside of work, they have been my daily wearers for about 15 years. A little overkill for MI but hey....

My daughter has jacked up feet. Planters and 1 other bone issue due to playing hockey. She needs to wear hoka shoes (or similar) plus inserts. A store in Muskegon, MI custom make her a set of inserts for the same price as generic inserts. Night and day.

I love the leather lined Lowa Renegades. I hate anything with Goretex as they always feel clammy. The leather lined boots are luxury.

/ Boots #47  
Gortex is more useful up north. It is not really cold enough down here to take advantage of the benefit.

It does touch on a key point...socks are important to fit and comfort of boots.

/ Boots #48  
Gortex is more useful up north. It is not really cold enough down here to take advantage of the benefit.

It does touch on a key point...socks are important to fit and comfort of boots.
The first time I realized how much difference there can be in socks, was when I bought some Lorpen brand socks from a hunting gear website. The socks were incredible with varying thicknesses throughout the sock to provide cushioning where needed. I've bought Lorpen socks a number of times since and have always been impressed.

/ Boots #49  

My younger brother has messed up feet. he was surveying in the mountains along the Utah Wyoming border, and got a secondary hit from some lightning that hit down the ridge from him, and it blew his big toe nails off. Said the first mile back towards the Jeep wasn’t too bad. Then the shock wore off.

He was buying expensive inserts. I reminded him that his health insurance covered podiatry. So, he went to visit the podiatrist. Fancy inserts that were hand fitted, for his $25 deductible. His insurance would cover up to six pair per year.

/ Boots #50  
Bought two new pairs of Redwings. This week. Both made in America with their puncture resistant american leather.

Perusing the web site, I discovered that most of the Made in America, with American materials boots come in sizes 4 through 18, and widths of A through EEE. Their other boots, most of which are made in America with foreign materials or components, only come in D and EE.