Bomb Cyclone!!!

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #61  
There new snow fall forecast unit of measure is. "'
Could be inches, could be feet. No one knows for sure.

Last edited:
   / Bomb Cyclone!!! #62  
However - 40 years of experience here shows that our electric co-op is magnificent. They have, historically, responded within eight hours to all types of outages. I put my trust in them.
We have one of those co-ops that does a wonderful job, yet some times things are beyond them. Like the record flooding in Dec a few years ago. Washed out power poles when one of creeks wend from 50' wide to almost 3/4 of a mile and several feet above the highest level on record. Flooded places that had never seen water in 150 years of existence. Took a few days for the water to go down enough to repair the damage. No sweat here I have wood to burn and propane heaters as well as electric. I would NEVER only have one fuel source for heating and cooking.
I also lived through Hurricane Hugo in NC and we did not have power for 18 days. All electric (or any one source) leaves you exposed.

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #63  
Low 20s and strong winds underneath warmer rain until 5AM. @ 2" of ice & sleet accumilated.

A motorist & two occupants took out a power pole last night; their car rolled down hill and ran off.

Ran the new 8K gen-set and circuit lockout for @ 4 hours to keep our pipes warm....it ran perfectly. Liking the electric start and bluetooth feature too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223-000407.png
    Screenshot_20221223-000407.png
    859.9 KB · Views: 40
   / Bomb Cyclone!!! #64  
Just a dusting of snow here north of Nasville. Temp at 7:30 pm 45 degrees, at 11:30 pm 4 degrees. 41 degree drop in 4 hours. -5 degrees this morning. weather station reported -24 wind chill. Brrr!

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #65  
After a couple of days of rain, the winds are here and outages starting. Ours went out a bit after 8AM. Glad the standby generator is here and running properly (3 kids w/families coming for lunch & gift exchange).

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #66  
Just went and checked my chickens and they were all fine but I had snow blowing in under the eaves of my building and had to plug that with rags and bags until I can get that fixed better. Fed them a bunch of fly larvae and collected eggs. The girls laid this morning in -1 temps. Most of them did anyways.

The wind is brutal, I learned that my cheap @$$ gloves need to be tossed.

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #67  
A bag of freshly cooked cookies can get the neighbor to dig me out of the biggest snow storms! (y)
Heck yes, I work for cookies!

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #68  
Brrrr, 29F here. Huge snow fall outside, almost can't see the grass in the field. :sneaky:

Actually what was somewhat worrying, last night was the freezing rain, but apparently we didn't lose power last night as the stove clock wasn't blinking. Probably around 1/8" of ice coating everything, so not too bad.

/ Bomb Cyclone!!! #70  
Good thread.

This was reported around 8:30 EST Friday and suggests we haven't seen the worst of it yet around the Great Lakes:

"The incipient storm system over the Great Lakes is about to undergo explosive intensification that will result in a fledgling low pressure system becoming a powerhouse “bomb cyclone” by Saturday. The consequences of such swift strengthening will include strong winds affecting nearly half of the Lower 48 states and heavy snow around the Great Lakes."

In other news, Kerosene was $6/gal yesterday. (First I've bought in 15 years.)