Block Heaters 24/7

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #31  
I live in NYS due west of the OP. I've started my tractor when its -10F no problems. Start her up and let her get warm. Idle her at 1200-1400rpms for 10-15 minutes till I got some heat in the cab and get toit.
We got a lot of snow this year. Last snow I was pushing snow for 6-8 hrs gota nice workout. At start up in that cold temps the engine makes a little clakety clack for a second after that she's humming.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #32  
Up here in Canada, we've had a few frosty nights at -30C plus wind chill effect. I, like a few others am retired so need to blow or plow is never right now. The other to whom one must obey is no longer on standby for the expected grandchild arrival, as she arrived two weeks ago.
I have my block hearer equipped TN 75 in a metal sided shed and metal roof. I have a smart plug with a power bar. One of the sockets for the block heater extension cord, and another for a light, situated that I can see from the kitchen window. I tell Alexa to turn on a couple of hours ahead of the need. Light confirms she listened. I have a second WiFi hub a little closer to get the signal thru all the metal. Hasn't failed so far. Used to have a key fob type remote switch, and before that a timer box, but got to admit Alexa's way ahead. I never thought of asking "her" to turn it on a specific time. I've never left on overnight or typically more than a couple of hours. We are paying over 18 cents per kilowatt hour at peak times, plus delivery, other and taxes.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #33  
My winters are cold. Sometimes way below freezing sometimes well below zero Fahrenheit. A few of my neighbors that have snow plowing routes and those that have farm animals plug in their block heaters for those 6 months. That is, when they are not in the vehicle, using it, the vehicle is plugged in. Their idea is #1 The vehicle is ready at a moment's notice. And #2: there is no stress on parts (expansion and contraction) as the engine goes from 0 degrees to running temp. I'm not saying what they do is not valid... Personally, I nervous about having the Heater plugged in overnight when I'm not around to see or smell a problem. I just don't have confidence in them. What is your opinion.
If it's a factory installed block heater it's probably pretty efficient. You need to work from information. I'd wait for one of those zero degree mornings, plug it in, and sit in the seat waiting for the temperature gauge to move. The time involved will give you a good starting point. Maybe you don't need to leave it plugged in all those hours.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #34  
My winters are cold. Sometimes way below freezing sometimes well below zero Fahrenheit. A few of my neighbors that have snow plowing routes and those that have farm animals plug in their block heaters for those 6 months. That is, when they are not in the vehicle, using it, the vehicle is plugged in. Their idea is #1 The vehicle is ready at a moment's notice. And #2: there is no stress on parts (expansion and contraction) as the engine goes from 0 degrees to running temp. I'm not saying what they do is not valid... Personally, I nervous about having the Heater plugged in overnight when I'm not around to see or smell a problem. I just don't have confidence in them. What is your opinion.
We plug them in at the start of milking (5 AM) to be ready for feeding. Three hours is enough.
But when we expect or have heavy snow we will do it the evening before so it's ready for clearing it.
They are outside though, at some distance from the building. and those are tin-sided and tin-roofed.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #35  
Up here in Canada, we've had a few frosty nights at -30C plus wind chill effect. I, like a few others am retired so need to blow or plow is never right now. The other to whom one must obey is no longer on standby for the expected grandchild arrival, as she arrived two weeks ago.
I have my block hearer equipped TN 75 in a metal sided shed and metal roof. I have a smart plug with a power bar. One of the sockets for the block heater extension cord, and another for a light, situated that I can see from the kitchen window. I tell Alexa to turn on a couple of hours ahead of the need. Light confirms she listened. I have a second WiFi hub a little closer to get the signal thru all the metal. Hasn't failed so far. Used to have a key fob type remote switch, and before that a timer box, but got to admit Alexa's way ahead. I never thought of asking "her" to turn it on a specific time. I've never left on overnight or typically more than a couple of hours. We are paying over 18 cents per kilowatt hour at peak times, plus delivery, other and taxes.
Wow, it's only 9 cents here. Ontario?

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #36  
My local Kubota dealer told of a customer who left a big, articulated tractor plugged in 24/7. The tractor caught fire and he lost tractor and barn.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #37  
My local Kubota dealer told of a customer who left a big, articulated tractor plugged in 24/7. The tractor caught fire and he lost tractor and barn.

Good story, but what it lacks is a connection between the block heater and the fire.

From what qw know about block heaters they are unlikely to cause a fire. They aren't even as hot as a light bulb.

In a barn I'd worry a whole lot more about switches and wiring in the walls. Those are known dangers.
rScotty

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #38  
Overnight for a 700 watt block heater to warm a 7.3l diesel when the outside temps are below zero.

2 hours for the lower radiator hose heater on the tractor... minimum.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #39  
Wow, it's only 9 cents here. Ontario?
1644257386124.png

1644257557373.png

Yup, Ontario. Sorry tho. 17 cents , not 18. End of 2020, we were paying 21.7 on peak hours, but with various rebates, and adjustments due to COVID over the last two years. This month they adjusted again to .082 until early February.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #40  
I'm with the twenty-minute guy. Basically, I go out and plug it in, come back to the house and have a cup of coffee, go back out and start Mahindra Baba.

That's only if it's below 10 deg F. Otherwise it starts right up.