Block heater

/ Block heater #21  
I find in-person help, especially if buying parts, more beneficial and rewarding when asking for advice. Good relationships like good tools are worth investing in. Several times the parts guy or service manager has offered to let me talk to a mechanic familiar with a repair. They save me time and money hoping I come back is good for both of us.

/ Block heater
Thanks Smokeydog,
That sounds ideal to me, it's a long story, but when I was shopping, I was actually debating between brand X and Y on different program tractors at different dealerships about 100 miles from home. I was actually on the road with my wife driving when one of the salesman asked me on the phone if I had considered the Massey that I eventually bought. The dealership I bought it from, also has a store locally. The local dealer's salesman had left a bad taste in my mouth when I talked to him earlier about brand Y. That and the fact I didn't buy it from the local store leaves me feeling somewhat awkward about dealing with them. I have been back locally to get filters for the 50 hour service, and for a replacement joystick which is apparently not an uncommon event, the new one they gave me was an "improved" replacement part. I'll drive over tomorrow and give it a try...

/ Block heater #23  
This worked for me. Last winter snow was predicted, I parked my tractor at very end of my driveway near house. I put a trouble light plugged into a timer under middle of tractor but towards front some (under motor). Light had 60W incandescent bulb.
Then a large movers quilt over hood back to seat. A tarp over whole tractor...few bungee straps.
Next morning it started great. Even seat wasn't freezing.
It worked for me. I think it got down to +10, if it was sub zero I'd use a heat lamp.

/ Block heater #24  
"humorous post"???
I live in Florida.
I did not post here, but.......
I lived in Minnesota for 24 years (1967-1991).
I have not forgotten what works best in the cold!

yea, you have a bunch of humorous posts as well!

/ Block heater #25  
   / Block heater #26  
You are quite welcome, I appreciate all the laughs!

/ Block heater #27  
Let the dealer put in a block heater if you choose a block heater. On this forum there have been a few horror storied of DIYs with these.

I had an unheated or uninsulated pole shed for my diesels and on days colder that 20 F I had to plug them in. They may start but was very rough.

I agree. I installed the one in the lower rad of the 220D but had a Benz dealer do the block heater of the 240D (in NJ).

Gets down to 10F here in Va. The Yanmars stumble all over themselves without heaters but start with 1/2 turn of the crankshaft after proper glow. Isuzu and VW TDI don't/didn't stumble. Except for the glow delay in starting, you'd think the Isuzu was a gas engine, e.g. no clatter. VWs have a slight clatter.

Ralph

/ Block heater #28  
Thanks Smokeydog,
That sounds ideal to me, it's a long story, but when I was shopping, I was actually debating between brand X and Y on different program tractors at different dealerships about 100 miles from home. I was actually on the road with my wife driving when one of the salesman asked me on the phone if I had considered the Massey that I eventually bought. The dealership I bought it from, also has a store locally. The local dealer's salesman had left a bad taste in my mouth when I talked to him earlier about brand Y. That and the fact I didn't buy it from the local store leaves me feeling somewhat awkward about dealing with them. I have been back locally to get filters for the 50 hour service, and for a replacement joystick which is apparently not an uncommon event, the new one they gave me was an "improved" replacement part. I'll drive over tomorrow and give it a try...

I have never been able to come to terms with the local dealers for a tractor purchase. They do mostly get my business for service, attachments and parts.

/ Block heater
"Good news everyone!"
Well it is for me anyway. Today I took the advice of RickB and Smokeydog, and reached out to the local dealership's service manager, "Kurt", or maybe "Curt". I believe he spent most of the afternoon chasing down the answer to my question of where to install a block heater. He called two other Massey service managers to find out. I sent him a picture of where I thought it might go, and saw that picture on the computer monitor on the counter. He had the part waiting for me in a paper bag when I got there. I was pleasantly surprised to learn their price was about 10% lower than either one of the major online sales sites. Happy days!
The installation seems straight forward, drain the coolant, remove a pipe plug, screw the heater in, re-fill the system.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their help, you guys are great!