Block heater

/ Block heater #1  

Massey convert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2605 H
Hi everybody, newbie here.
I'm facing my first winter in Wisconsin with a new Massey Ferguson 2605 H, it has a Simpson SJV 326 engine, it's my first diesel, and I am concerned about COLD temperature starting, does anyone know what specific heater is recommended and where it needs to be installed? I'm reluctant to have the dealer do it, for a few reasons, including the price. I have been using and maintaining an Allis Chalmers WD for about 40 years, so I think I should be able to tackle this installation. Maybe I'm concerned about nothing, but even if it will start without one, a block heater will make cold weather starts easier on the engine, battery, and starter.
Thanks for any help you can lend me.

/ Block heater #2  
If you leave your machine outdoors make up and engine and rad cover. My preference is using a lower rad hose heater. Support your local tractor dealership. Get a timer for your setup.

/ Block heater #3  
I've found that a lower radiator hose heater is an easier install and does a good job. However - I've never used either type heater around here. Thirty eight plus years and everything starts up just fine and nothing broken nor worn out. My tractor is stored in an unheated car port. I used the lower radiator hose heater when we lived in AK.

Remember - if you don't make the install correctly with either type, you can loose vital engine fluids. I agree with mikester - support your local tractor dealership.

Why is it .... folks buy a nice, new tractor and then they want to squeeze the pennies.

/ Block heater #4  
We had a lower rad heater on our 1972 220D Benz. Worked great on a -22 F morning in Vermont.

Had a freeze block heater on our 1983 240D Benz that we had for 25 years. Didn't use it much unless the wife wanted instant heat when pulling out of the garage.

Have had no heaters on the 3 diesel tractors that I've owned and do not have any on the Isuzu diesel generator nor on the VW TDI for nearly 7 years.

They start with about the same load on the starter after the proper glow plug time: about 1/2 turn of the crankshaft (yes, even that 220D @ -22F).

However, the Yanmar JDs and the old Benzes were "lumpy" on starting (with 1/2 throttle) with blue smoke. The VW TDI and Isuzu essentially started/start and sound like a gasoline engine. I do not know how your Massey will be.

Forgot. Need only run block heaters about 20-30 minutes before you start them. Otherwise, you're subjecting your coolant to the very high temperature of the heated electric element too long and wasting energy.

Ralph

Last edited:
   / Block heater #5  
I've had better service out of block heaters then the lower radiator heaters.
That said either is better then none.
Many of the common rail engine will start in cold weather without heat,
but they all start smoother and easier with heat when it gets cold.

/ Block heater
I guess I should give them a chance on a quote. I have always "squeezed pennies' and plan to continue to do so, I change the oil on everything I own, and do almost ALL the maintainance. I do regret not buying a new tractor sooner, I've owned, used, abused, repaired, and overhauled, a 1950 Allis Chalmers WD for about 40 years, so I'm in the habit of doing things for myself, by myself, with advice where I can get it. Thanks for yours.

/ Block heater #7  
You could also ask the dealer's advise. You don't have to pay them for an install, they probably know more about what works on your tractor in your climate than a bunch of people living in other places with different tractors in their sheds.

Many dealers provide excellent guidance.

/ Block heater #8  
Placing a tarp over the tractor engine and using an air heater with a fan will also work.

/ Block heater #9  
We had a lower rad heater on our 1972 220D Benz. Worked great on a -22 F morning in Vermont.

Had a freeze block heater on our 1983 240D Benz that we had for 25 years. Didn't use it much unless the wife wanted instant heat when pulling out of the garage.

Have had no heaters on the 3 diesel tractors that I've owned and do not have any on the Isuzu diesel generator nor on the VW TDI for nearly 7 years.

They start with about the same load on the starter after the proper glow plug time: about 1/2 turn of the crankshaft (yes, even that 220D @ -22F).

However, the Yanmar JDs and the old Benzes were "lumpy" on starting (with 1/2 throttle) with blue smoke. The VW TDI and Isuzu essentially started/start and sound like a gasoline engine. I do not know how your Massey will be.

Ralph

This is the most humorous post I have read in a while, like there is much comparison between Virginia and Wisconsin?

:laughing:

/ Block heater #10  
I would prefer a block heater to a radiator hose heater.

Personal preference.