Blew up Kubota motor

/ Blew up Kubota motor #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Had a bad day.

Apparently my oil pressure light is burnt out and I never paid attention.

Just changed oil about 5 hours ago so didn't even think to check. Last mowing job must have had a stick dislodge the oil dipstick. Was 4-5 qts low. Spun front end bearing. Damage done. Lesson learned..(always make sure dash lights work) why we cannot have fail safes in place to shut an engine down when low oil, or no oil pressure is beyond me. A $500 pressure washer has this feature, but not a $20-$30k tractor?

Anyways, tractor is split, engine pulled.

Where is the best place to buy a new or rebuilt engine? Don't really have the time or ambition to want to disassemble and rebuild myself. Would rather just bite the bullet and get back up an operational.

Not really any local shops I would trust.

/ Blew up Kubota motor #2  
Have you actually tallied the engine damage? You may not want to mess with it, but these engines are relatively simple. I've even seen a spun bearing where the crank could be cleaned up without machining. Maybe a piston or two is scored. Unless you need to replace the cam and lifters, or bore the block, it could be relatively simple.
A new engine will only be available from Kubota. Your internet search will be as good as mine at finding engine rebuilders, but not much on how well they do their jobs.

/ Blew up Kubota motor #3  
Wow, that is really a bummer. How many hours did you have on it?

/ Blew up Kubota motor #4  
Last mowing job must have had a stick dislodge the oil dipstick.

Do you have KTAC insurance?

KTAC Should cover repair less $250 deductible.

KTAC is very easy for you to deal with, very easy for Kubota dealers to deal with.

/ Blew up Kubota motor #5  
Are you kidding? You've only had that tractor a year or 2, haven't you? Man that sucks.

/ Blew up Kubota motor #6  
Engine Power Source.. EPS in N.C. engines ready to go..

/ Blew up Kubota motor #7  
why we cannot have fail safes in place to shut an engine down when low oil, or no oil pressure is beyond me. A $500 pressure washer has this feature, but not a $20-$30k tractor?.

Agreed, they put sensors on everything else and can't put one so that the tractor shuts down before a catastrophe failure when light bulbs fail..

/ Blew up Kubota motor
Only 800 hrs on engine.

May be a cheap simple fix to attempt to clean crank and spin a new bearing in ... But not my style. All the shavings through out the system....turbo, stuff imbedded in bearings doing damage. I am not looking for cheap and easy. I am looking for done right with no worries.

No I don't have ktac

Probably too late to call and get it now to cover this damage.

With regards to other damage....no haven't tore it apart yet. So unsure. But #1,3,5 cam bearing journals....it's blue around the camshaft like it got hot. But odd that 2 abdn4 aren't. So don't know if that's a heat treatment or if there is damage.

Just don't want to chance it. I know it's gonna cost $$$$ but I want it right. But on the same tolken, don't want to spend $6k on an engine if some place sells them for $4k

/ Blew up Kubota motor #9  
I would tell you what we used to call oil pressure lights that replaced an actual oil pressure gauge in autos, but I do not want to offend the O.P. And really no offense implied.

And yes, there are many automatic safe guards to shut down engines during a low oil pressure situation. But people are complaining about the high price of the tractors now. How much more is the general public willing to shell out?

/ Blew up Kubota motor #10  
I don't know if they were an "option" or not.??
Theres a co that makes them.. called>> Murphy gauges/switches. & they're a PITA..