Birds in the Barn

/ Birds in the Barn #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
Has anyone found the secret to keeping birds out of your barn?

We built our hay barn 6 or 7 years ago and there have always been a few birds finding shelter inside it. But, this year year we have a bumper crop of English sparrows and they finally did something to really get me upset. They are depositing their droppings all over my tractor. Now that does it! Time to take action.

I know of folks who have put plastic owls inside their barns to scare birds away but don't know if that actually works. So far I haven't been able to find plastic owls. TSC does not carry them. But, I am still looking.

If there are any success stories out there, please share the secret to that success.

/ Birds in the Barn #2  
Has anyone found the secret to keeping birds out of your barn?

We built our hay barn 6 or 7 years ago and there have always been a few birds finding shelter inside it. But, this year year we have a bumper crop of English sparrows and they finally did something to really get me upset. They are depositing their droppings all over my tractor. Now that does it! Time to take action.

I know of folks who have put plastic owls inside their barns to scare birds away but don't know if that actually works. So far I haven't been able to find plastic owls. TSC does not carry them. But, I am still looking.

If there are any success stories out there, please share the secret to that success.

Good luck with that...I get them every year. Best I can say is, try and keep the building closed up tight...a lot of buildings that's impossible though. They're tenacious critters for sure

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Birds in the Barn #3  
I have Barn Swallows and I actually leave the door open for them. I park my Tractor under the Hay loft if I keep it in there. The Swallows keep the skeeters away.

/ Birds in the Barn #4  
Mount a couple of cheap ceiling fans directly over your tractor if you have electric power available.

/ Birds in the Barn #5  
Mount a couple of cheap ceiling fans directly over your tractor if you have electric power available.

Night time...BB guns...flashlight...kids/grandkids...works for sparrows in the chicken coop too.

/ Birds in the Barn #6  
Is your overhead space closed off with bird netting or hardware cloth?

/ Birds in the Barn
The hay barn is 24 X 60. The ceiling fans won't work because they would interfere with hay storage. Not to sure about the bird netting because of the construction of the barn. The birds would simply end up being caught above the netting.

Good ideas, but probably not applicable in this case. Take a look at the construction.

I really don't think there is any way to keep the birds out. What I am looking for is a way to deter them from taking up residence.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 132
   / Birds in the Barn #8  
Get a couple of house cats. They love birds.

/ Birds in the Barn #9  
I don't have a lot of sparrows. Plastic owls sure keep the magpies away. Have one mounted on the peak of the barn at each end. Keeps the barn swallows away also.