Big Log Splitter--Little BX

/ Big Log Splitter--Little BX #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
Splitting wood today with the BX. Splitter is as big as the BX, no it well not pick it up. Didn't do the trailer today just the pile behind splitter. Started at 10:00AM and stopped at 2:00PM.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 885
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 1,530
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    892.7 KB · Views: 779
   / Big Log Splitter--Little BX #2  
Impressive piece of work. You have the basis there for a fire wood processor. It appears you are using the BX hydraulics. What is your power and speed like? How about a close up of your hydraulics arrangement? Did you maintain the PB circuit?

Ron

/ Big Log Splitter--Little BX #3  
Nice, I am also curious as to the cycle time. I am not a fast cycle guy myself, but am curious.

/ Big Log Splitter--Little BX
Cycle time is about as fast I want to run the tractor. Today I was running about 2200 or2300 rpm. Most of time I don't need to use the full strock of the cyl. maybe 1/2. Power is the same on the BX as it is on my 7800 or 4240, today the bx didn't even drop down in rpm at all. The wood was splitting good today didn't run into any Y's. Look at the 3rd picture real good and you well see a pto shaft. If I do some more tomorrow I'll show you my set up. The 4240 I run arond 1800 rpm and 7800 around 2000 rpm, but the speed of the splitter is about the same and the speed I like so I would guess the differents is it takes the rpm's stated to get the same pto rpm's. By the way that splitter has split wood each year( but maybe missed 2 or3) from 1980 or 1981. I did have to replace a used pump I started out with after the first 5 or 6 years. The black out side cover on the hoses is just about all gone on the upper hoses.
Man 1980 to now, thats a long time. All I can say is where did the time go????

/ Big Log Splitter--Little BX #5  
Oh, okay. I also thought you were running it off of the BX hydraulics and I just couldn't see the hose routing. I see the PTO shaft now. Nice.

Well here is my set up.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    895.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 371
   / Big Log Splitter--Little BX #7  
Looks like a lot of work went into that splitter. Very nice.

I see in the previous set of pictures, it comes equipped with a cup holder. A can of spray lubricant in it I presume?

Yes on the cup holder. When I was a drinking man that was for old JIM, there was 3 all together had to keep him near by. Old JIM just about killed me so now it's only good for a can of oil, sometimes I forget and try to drink the oil. I use it to lube the chain and when I run into a hard knot. Just back the cyl back a little, hit the knife with a little oil and it walks right thru. Try that oil thing when you run into a hard one, works great.

/ Big Log Splitter--Little BX #9  
Well that is good, machinery and alcohol don't mix well. I won't even have a beer when I am doing anything with a motor.