Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #151  
I am 2 meters tall (6'7"),, I do not fit in a "Mini Cooper",,
so, I drive a ,,,,,,,,

L7v3SGR.jpg

anything smaller would be hazardous to "MY HEALTH"!!

Your "Mini Cooper" is... okay.
Do you need smaller one?
Here it is, if even health hazardous.
Renault_Alaskan_Ice_Edition_Genf_2019_1Y7A5833.jpg

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #152  
Or perhaps a vehicle height mismatch made his bumper ride over the top of yours resulting in excessive damage to your vehicle which could have happened with any modern pickup.

It isn't the size of the vehicle that makes it hazardous, it's the skill and attentiveness of the driver. I operated a Kenworth W-800 with double trailers in city traffic for several years and never had an accident with it. I learned that to make a right turn, I had to have my trailer blocking the right lane and the tractor in the next lane over with my turn signals on. Even then when my trailer moved far enough left someone in a Lexus or BMW would try to cut inside to make a right and have to stop to keep my trailer off their hood.
I was only trying to impress that given the exact same situations a smaller lighter vehicle would have caused less damage.

We do everything we can to make it easy for the truckers. No blind spot driving, no cutting them off, etc.

Be safe everyone.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #153  
Partly because there are so few other people around there is no one to show off to.
I'll go along with that........(I live off a gravel road so dirt on equipment is part of life for me) Truck gets washed and waxed but hits the road dirty more than clean......and I do wash my tractor once a year, even wax it.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #154  
Rediculous. My large pickup truck has better visibility than ANY vehicle I have ever owned.
And more safety features and alerts than ever before.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #155  
The main reason we don't have moderate size pickup trucks in the US is because of a trade war dating to the early 1960s.

At the time, chicken was considered a delicacy in Europe, and priced accordingly. US chicken farmers were able to undercut the prices of the local producers to the extent that Europe applied a high tariff on US-origin chickens. This is the infamous "chicken tax" - look at Wikipedia for all the gory details.

In retaliation, the US applied a 25% tax on imported trucks (from anywhere), and all the producers of moderate size trucks had to leave the US market because their products simply weren't competitive any more. VW type 2, gone, a collection of Japanese trucks, gone. After NAFTA, Canada and Mexico were exempt, but the tax stands for trucks from everywhere else. We have no moderate size trucks here because there is no competition for US automakers in this market segment due to the 25% duty. Consequently, US automakers are quite happy to concentrate on the high end of the big pickup truck market, which also happens to be the most profitable for them. This is the same situation as in the 1970s when Detroit made crappy cars because they could get away with it because there was nothing better around - obviously, that changed big time.

We have much better domestic cars now because Detroit figured out pretty quickly that the Japanese cars were better, cheaper, more durable, more economical to run, got better gas mileage and were just plain better built than the local product. If they wanted to sell cars, Detroit simply HAD to build better cars - and to stay alive, they did (mostly).

There are a number of ways around the chicken tax - Ford Transit vans are shipped over as cars with seats, rear windows, and rear seatbelts, then converted here into vans. The Subaru Brat had a pair of rear-facing seats in the bed so it qualified as a "car" and was exempt (for a while). VW built their Rabbit truck in Pennsylvania. Mercedes sends the Sprinters over as "kits" for final assembly locally.

So if we want to see smaller trucks in the US of A, the chicken tax needs to go away so Detroit has some competition in this market segment. As long as the 25% duty remains on imported trucks, we are going to have more of the same huge, expensive vehicles from domestic makers.

I'd like to see something slightly smaller than the new Ranger - I like the $20K base price, I want a single cab, not a crew cab, and I want it to be able to carry a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood FLAT. If the Ranger is successful (and it is looking that way), GM and Stellantis (or whatever they call themselves these days) will jump on the bandwagon as well.

And happy new year!

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #156  
I was only trying to impress that given the exact same situations a smaller lighter vehicle would have caused less damage.
That is a given. My point is that the primary cause of the accident and the damage had absolutely nothing to do with the size of the given vehicles involved. An inattentive driver in a Smart Fortwo will do infinitely more damage than an aware and attentive driver of a jacked up big tired Dodge diesel dually pulling a 9 ton trailer. It isn't the vehicle, it's the loose nut behind the wheel.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #157  
I am not sure the about purpose of this discussion. Is it that larger vehicles should not exist (Trucks, trains, etc) or that small vehicles should not be on highways (like Smartcar, Fiat 500 or bikes). I am also not clear about big cars killing people. Interesting statement. I thought careless and/or neglectful drivers might have something with that. I certainly hope the truck in my driveway won't kill anyone, just as the owner of a Smartcar hopes the same. I accepted that responsibility when I purchased it. It seems to stay at home unless I get in and drive it. If we go down this road, let's suppose all cars must be a small size. What's next, one brand is safer than another so there can be only one brand? We all assume responsibility for driving and insuring property and well being of others while driving. There is not doubt in my mind that a new 2021 truck is safer than a Ford Pinto. Size had nothing to do with it. If you feel it does, don't buy a small car. You have a choice to do so. So does everyone else.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #158  
I agree with Big Bubba, I see a lot of "mall cruisers" in full size pickups that they do not need for any good reason. It's wasteful and stupid and harmful to the environment. A four wheel drive Tacoma or similar is plenty for the hobby farmer or weekend adventurer.
Here we go... Wasteful and Stupid... And bad for the environment...
I feel the same way about some people...

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #159  
Wish a link to the article was provided, so I could read it first hand, since the tag line for the post indicates cars and the body indicate pickup trucks.

The link to the article was there originally, however, it had to be removed because of a bunch of nekked peoples on that website.