Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #121  
This thread reads like a click bait headline...

Regarding pedestrian / auto deaths:

Per the GHSA website (nonprofit focused on reducing pedestrian traffic fatalities):

* Alcohol impairment by the driver and/or pedestrian is reported in nearly half of traffic crashes that resulted in a pedestrian fatality.

* Although passenger cars are the largest category of vehicles in fatal pedestrian crashes, over the past decade the number of pedestrian deaths in crashes involving sport utility vehicles (SUVs) increased at a faster rate – 69% – than deaths in crashes involving passenger cars, which increased by 46%.

So alcohol and cars are the largest percentage root cause.

Point 2 mentions percent of SUVs related are on the increase.

This is an expected result since SUVs as a percentage of vehicles on the road has been on the increase.

Data indicates root cause by far is stopping drunk pedestrians and drunk drivers, which would eliminate 50% of the 6700 pedestrian deaths in 2020.

Bottom line: Drive sober no matter what vehicle you are driving...and look out for drunk pedestrians...

TJ

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #122  
I leave my hitch in on my pickup, for the idiots that park by feel.
I'm a guilty party on that one. :) The truck I had about 6 years ago was a 3/4 ton crew of the pre-backup camera vintage. many of us at work would park in a designated parking area perpendicular to the access road in to work, and it was barely deep enough for long trucks. To make sure that I was not sticking out and an easy target to get clipped by a plow, I would leave the drawbar in and back up until I heard the audible "clang" when it hit the guardrail. It was dark when I arrived, and the tail lights were above the rail by a lot, so when you got close you had no good visibility of the guardrail.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #123  
I once was rear ended by a lady real estate sales agent that was on the phone.
She cussed me for the damage I did to her car and called the cops on me. WTF !

The only good thing was that we have 'no fault' here so I got a new bumper at no cost to me plus a loaner car.
The LEO report was all I needed for the 'no fault' claim.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #125  
No, only diesel, but it is big enough to tow around its own nuclear power plant, so if you really want an electric . . .

Made in Russia, they use them to recover cosmonauts in the trackless wastes of Siberia. "Where we going, we don't need no roads comrade, in fact, we make our own!"

Sells for about $140K, delivery is going to be "a bit" extra ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Delivery? Heck, you can pick that up and DRIVE it home from Russia!

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #126  
I’ve been rear ended 4 times in the same town... twice on the same bridge, the other two times were ten minutes apart. I got out after the second time to make sure that my brakelights were working.
No damage to my vehicle, but on at least one occasion the other driver was making a pool of anti freeze as I pulled away.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #127  
Open the door and stand on the rocker while scraping. While you're there, take time to clean the roof off.
My 3 years old grasshopper's roof height is at about every single American pick-up's bonnet height. Still no problem. :LOL:

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #128  
i know many here will not agree with this article, but just to stir the pot.... inho increased size of the pickup over the years to the now monstrous has posed safety hazards for pedestrians. add all the small vehicles now on public roads (i hate scooters, etc) only increases risk.
we have a voracious appetite for power/size/creature comfort, which is ok in iteslf. but there are blind spots on these larger trucks, & the increased power & creature comfort sometimes makes us unaware of our surroundings...add our thirst for social media while driving & it makes a recipe for disaster

(this comment is not intended for those who depend on larger pickups for their trade, etc. just for the mall cruisers in crowded areas)
your thoughts? the link should work
Wish a link to the article was provided, so I could read it first hand, since the tag line for the post indicates cars and the body indicate pickup trucks.

I agree that there really needs to be a safety bumper extension so that the bottom of the bumper is no more than "x" inches off of the ground - like trailers on semi-rigs have to do today.

Large cars, on the other hand, I feel save lives. The extra crush area provided in a larger car provides a much larger volume for bad things to happen, and the occupants not come into contact with a hard unprotected surface. Plus most modern large cars have a virtual 360 degree view of their surrounds, some even equipped with active accident avoidance systems.

So agree on big / raised pickup trucks, but not with big cars.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans
Bubba needs something that can't be provided in a tractor forum. We don't play politics in here so try out your group think bs somewhere else......besides you have expounded a total fantasy which is typical of someone with an agenda....try social media... In here we believe in mechanical power not political power. Sometimes it's better to be silent in thought.......once credibility is lost it's hard to get back.
perhaps you're right Brad, though politics was the least in mind when i made that observation. agree that in links, one should fine comb any possibility for confrontational side issues. it was my mistake to include it.

however, my premise still stands, yes, one can feel safe w/high visibility (for distance) w/ the larger pickups, but in a residential setting, the heightened hood will sometimes provide a blind spot for that darting kid into the street a few feet from the vehicle. many others will disagree, so be it. be safe, happy new year to all forum members

Last edited: