BIG BUD 750 HP

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #21  
When we bought this Hundred acres in the mid 60s, the farmers used massey 35s and Ford 8 or 9ns. I remember sitting on the tractors for a while as they ploughed two, maybe three furroughs at a time. I don't recall them complaining that they needed a bigger tractor or that it was taking too long. They lived a normal life expectency, probably never had a hungry day in their life, nor were probably happier or unhappier than anyone else. So what is the push for BIG for? I'm guessing the equipment they used was paid for.

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #22  
These large scale tractors have anyways been interesting to me, since I love industrial history. So did they have just a few custom built implements for them to pull?? A few years ago, I asked by brother-in-law, why they didn't used those those tracked tractors on his operation. They run duallies or triple tires on there 4wd JD's.. His responses was something to the effect, "they ride to rough for our operators" and "our fields are to far ranging from here, they are to slow on the road".

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #23  
Re: BİG BUD 750 HP

This shouldn't be a shock that farm machinery has gotten bigger each year, just like all other industries.. I'm from AG where most of my family is today. But when I was working around mines in the 80's, there average haul truck was in the 200 tons range. While there, I only worked on the puny sized 100 ton ones.... Today they are in the 300 and larger in size. Should we be shocked?
Arly, we targeted a 410 ton payload on our Catapillar 797's. Amazing machines.

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #24  
Re: BİG BUD 750 HP

I worked among the coal mines for a while but most of my family is from the iron range. The iron mine in Brazil (actually taconite, if anyone cares) that recently lost a dam and people killed, I believe was a 'truckless" mine system.

Arly, we targeted a 410 ton payload on our Catapillar 797's. Amazing machines.

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #25  
   / BIG BUD 750 HP #27  
When we bought this Hundred acres in the mid 60s, the farmers used massey 35s and Ford 8 or 9ns. I remember sitting on the tractors for a while as they ploughed two, maybe three furroughs at a time. I don't recall them complaining that they needed a bigger tractor or that it was taking too long. They lived a normal life expectency, probably never had a hungry day in their life, nor were probably happier or unhappier than anyone else. So what is the push for BIG for? I'm guessing the equipment they used was paid for.
things have changed since the '60s, the only way to make a profit now is to have a huge farm, and farm it quickly, not take all day to do that.. an 80 foot cultivator is used, hence the huge tractor..

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #29  
So are huge dump trucks. It's easier to put (and control) an electric motor at the axle than deal with a very heavy drivetrain.

/ BIG BUD 750 HP #30  
Here is a video of a Catapillar 797 being built in Decatur, Illinois and finished at the mine site. I'm surprised that its gear box driven... I thought these BIG guy we all generator/motor driven.

Biggest Dumptruck In The World / Caterpillar 797 Mining Truck Assembly - YouTube
Not much any more. The 120 sized we had were.

Terex came out with a A/C drive 400 ton truck however it was a dismal failure. I used to call them barn soured as they were always in the shop for repairs. The Cats far out performed them in all aspects.